The Official RONR Q & A Forums

nonmember officer

Leo

Well, OK, but the people still don't evaporate.

So in the phrase "dissolve the assembly", "assembly" has to have a different meaning than "the members attending". What's your word for it?

Let's say a board has twenty-five members. Twenty are present at a board meeting. This means five members of the board are absent. Still though, they are board members, and the board has twenty-five members.

A board is an assembly, so you can strike "board" and insert "assembly" and the above paragraph will still be accurate.

Nope, not according to Dan's post at #21, quoting p. 14, lines 28-29.

The "assembly" is the 20 members (of the Board) actually attending the meeting.

"Board" and "assembly" would only be synonymous if all the board members were at the meeting.

I'll let Dan comment on how the clarification of the word "powers" relates to the meaning and application of the word "assembly." :)

My favorite definition of "assembly" is found on page 14, lines 26-29:

"The bylaws, by their nature, necessarily contain whatever limitations are placed on the powers of the assembly of a society (that is, the members attending a particular one of its meetings) with respect to the society as a whole."

Oh, poor Edgar. Now he's really going to be confused.

While the configuration of the assembly may vary from moment to moment based on attendance, its membership does not.

Actually, Mr. Honemann provided the analgesic my headache required and, so far, it seems to be resistant to Mr. Gerber's gymnastic (but no doubt benevolent) attempt to make it hurt again. Configuration? Really?

Actually, Mr. Honemann provided the analgesic my headache required and, so far, it seems to be resistant to Mr. Gerber's gymnastic (but no doubt benevolent) attempt to make it hurt again. Configuration? Really?

Yeah, but Dan didn't say it was the only definition of "assembly", just his favorite one. :)

There are some organizations in which the assembly of the society has a specific name. This is most common in societies with conventions (ex. House of Delegates), but it is not unheard of in other societies (General Assembly, perhaps). In such a case, a person is a member of the General Assembly whether or not he is present.

Thinking of it in those terms should help to get a grasp on what Mr. Gerber is getting at in his posts. The society could define that a person is an ex-officio member of the "General Assembly" but is not a member of the society. It might be wise for the society to come up with such a name if it wanted such an arrangement, if only for the sake of clarity.

Archived