The Official RONR Q & A Forums

approving the minutes

Jayadev

I cannot find a place in RONR where it discusses a absentee member's role in the approval of minutes. Obviously, it would be out of place for a member to bring up a corrrection, but overall RONR is silent in that regard. I would say, personally, yes the member can vote on the approval of the minutes.

To your second question, approving the minutes is normally done through unaimous consent (Pg. 354). The chair begins by saying "Are there any corrections to the minutes?" If corrections are brought up, they are approved by unanimous consent also, or a majority vote if a member objects. Following the correction, or if no corrections are made, the chair states "There being no (further) corrections, the minutes are approved as read (corrected)."

A formal motion can be made ("I move to approve the minutes as read") but it is completely unnecessary.

In a Board of trutess meeting does a trustee who did not particpate in the original meeting can vote on the approval of minutes of that meeting? What is Rule on approving minutes

Thanks

Jay

No vote should be taken on the approval of the minutes, even if a motion for approval has been made. See RONR (11th ed.), p. 354-355 for the correct procedure. However, a members presence at a previous meeting plays no factor on his right to participate in the correction and approval of the minutes.

I cannot find a place in RONR where it discusses a absentee member's role in the approval of minutes.

Take a look at RONR (11th ed.), p. 355, ll. 8-11, which covers the matter.

Obviously, it would be out of place for a member to bring up a correction,

It wouldn't be out of place at all.

but overall RONR is silent in that regard. I would say, personally, yes the member can vote on the approval of the minutes.

No one should be voting on the approval of the minutes.

Take a look at RONR (11th ed.), p. 355, ll. 8-11, which covers the matter.

I missed that. Thank you for pointing it out. I looked at the page earlier and didn't see it.

It wouldn't be out of place at all.

I would look at is as a member wasn't in attendance, they probably shouldn't make a correction to something that happened during a meeting that they weren't at. There is no rule stopping them, but if it were me, I would probably stay quiet.

No one should be voting on the approval of the minutes.

Can't debate this one. It's there plain as can be.

I would look at is as a member wasn't in attendance, they probably shouldn't make a correction to something that happened during a meeting that they weren't at. There is no rule stopping them, but if it were me, I would probably stay quiet.

Generally yes, but what if the minutes said that this member had made a motion at a meeting he wasn't at? Or what if the correction has nothing to do with the substance of what happened but was grammar based (such as something was misspelled)?

Generally yes, but what if the minutes said that this member had made a motion at a meeting he wasn't at? Or what if the correction has nothing to do with the substance of what happened but was grammar based (such as something was misspelled)?

I see your point. I was referring to the actual proceeding of a meeting, but I would agree with you on the other corrections.

I cannot find a place in RONR where it discusses a absentee member's role in the approval of minutes. Obviously, it would be out of place for a member to bring up a corrrection, but overall RONR is silent in that regard. I would say, personally, yes the member can vote on the approval of the minutes.

Yes, he may.

And it is also perfectly proper for him to bring up a correction. This happened recently at a board meeting of mine. A member offered a correction to the minutes of the prior meeting. The minutes stated that he had given the report of the finance committee, which he had not in fact done, as he was in France at the time.

Archived