The Official RONR Q & A Forums

quorum rules

Guest Sharon

Last week, a Board of Directors for a housing association (I am the secretary) held its regularly scheduled meeting. Due to illness etc, we didn't have a quorum as defined by our bylaws. The President jumped in and "suspended the rules" and appointed the husband of a missing Board member to fill in so that we would have a quorum. We were all surprised, but had no controversial business and because no one was able to contradict the action we let it go by and held the meeting.

Tonight, a Board of a regional assocation held its monthly meeting. My husband is president. They failed to have a quorum.. maybe its the weather.. or the flu?? Anyway, they followed their bylaws and didn't have a meeting but just a discussion of future plans. A member approached him later and asked why he didn't just "suspend the rules" and hold a meeting. He took the position that such action would be improper. I agree with him, but thought I'd ask the experts.

If the Bylaws are clear on the numbers necessary for a quorum, and they don't allow for proxy voting, isn't it wrong to use the "suspend the rules" option in this case? It doesn't feel right but the one President was so positive that this could be done, that it left the Board confused.

There are rules that can be suspended, but a quorum rule is absolutely not one of them. The president can just as validly suspend the Bylaw of Gravity, so when it's time to leave, he doesn't have to wait for the elevator: he can just open the window and waft gently to the ground.

No way, no how.

Any business that was done at the housing meeting is null and void.

(Here's a possible exception: IF the president, or the board, has the authority to appoint that husband, then probably it will fly. But I doubt it, and don't get snowed with any hogwash quoting stuff about "-general management of the affairs of the Association,-" either.)

The President jumped in and "suspended the rules" and appointed the husband of a missing Board member to fill in so that we would have a quorum.

I'd be curious to learn what rule was suspended that allowed this. Nonetheless, at the bottom of p. 263 (RONR 11th Ed.) is reference to the nonsuspendability of the rule requiring the presence of a quorum. And while I"m sure the President would argue "yeah, but .... we had a quorum after I appointed Gus to be a Director pro tem", that sort of practice is a bunch of hoo-hah.

So, you might consider getting (what I like to call) the study guide, the "In Brief" version which hits all the major high points, as well The Book which has more than you'll ever want to know. Read In Brief right away (several times), before you lay in for the official book. Keep them with you at all times. Then when someone tries to foist what sounds like a bunch of hoo-hah on you, you can say "show me where it says that in Robert's Rules." And when they say it's not like they carry a copy around with them, presto --- you hold yours out and say "well, it's a good thing I do, or you just might get away with it this time."

. . . they followed their bylaws and didn't have a meeting . . .

Well, as far as RONR is concerned, they should have held the meeting, even if a quorum wasn't present. And minutes (albeit brief ones) should have been prepared. There is no provision in RONR for canceling a meeting. A meeting (either regular or special) was presumably scheduled and a meeting should have been held.

So it looks like there were two presidents who didn't understand the rules. That's some flu that's going around.

(Note: it's possible, but I think unlikely, that the bylaws of the second association state that no meetings can be held without a quorum, in which case the president acted properly. But I suspect the bylaws simply establish a quorum - as they should - and the president took it from there.)

(Here's a possible exception: IF the president, or the board, has the authority to appoint that husband, then probably it will fly. But I doubt it, and don't get snowed with any hogwash quoting stuff about "-general management of the affairs of the Association,-" either.)

One slight quibble - if the president had the authority to appoint a spare board member, then yes. However, if it is the board that has the authority to appoint, the board could not have met to appoint the member in order to have quorum to meet. Makes it even less likely to have happened correctly.

Archived