The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Elections for New Board

Guest Pam Duffy

Our Nominating Committee last night (October 15th) presented the names of those, who volunteered to run for office next year. We also entertained nominations from the floor. All this is in accordance with our bylaws. No one stepped up to the plate to run for Chair.

At this juncture, the Nominating Committee will contact all voting members again to determine if there is any interest. Elections are not until November 19th, at which time nominations will again be entertained from the floor.

If on November 19th there is no candidate for the position of Chair, how should that be handled? Such a scenario is not covered in our bylaws and I can't seem to find any reference to such a scenario in Robert's 10th Edition although I could have missed it.

Thank you so much.

See the bottom of p. 556 into p. 557 of the 10th...."To ensure the continued services of officers in the event, for example, of public emergency or of difficulty in obtaining a nominee for an office, it is well to provide that officers "shall hold office for a term of . . . year(s) or [or "and"*] until their successors are elected." The unqualified wording "for a term of . . . year(s)" should be avoided, because at the end of that time there would be no officers if new ones had not been elected." and kindly get the 11th. :) So perhaps the current Chair stays put.

Your problems are, as your'e aware, longer term, if no one is willing to step up to the plate.

If on November 19th there is no candidate for the position of Chair, how should that be handled? Such a scenario is not covered in our bylaws and I can't seem to find any reference to such a scenario in Robert's 10th Edition although I could have missed it.

Thank you so much.

If the term of office is fixed, with no "until successor is elected" provision, then you will have no Chair other than the one you elect pro tem. Otherwise, the current Chair remains in office until you elect a new one.

If on November 19th there is no candidate for the position of Chair, how should that be handled?

If you want to try to elect a new chair - even if your current chair stays in office until a successor is elected - when the position of chair is up for election just pass out blank pieces of paper as ballots and tell the members to write in their choice (assuming your rules don't prohibit write-in votes). You might be surprised if it turns out there is a clear choice from the members, and their clear choice, if he obtains a majority of the votes, might just agree to serve.

Archived