The Official RONR Q & A Forums

READING INTO MINUTES

Guest CLARK MUENZER

Is there a procedure for reading a prepared statement into the minutes of a metting?

The members could, by majority vote, adopt a motion that someone's prepared statement be read into the minutes. However, there is no parliamentary hocus pocus by which a single member can ensure that his personal statement of opinion is recorded in the minutes. As John R. points out, RONR, in its description of the proper content of the minutes, provides no support for including any such statement.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm afraid this concept of "reading something into the minutes" stems from a misconception that whatever is said in a meeting goes directly into the minutes and somehow belongs there.

As for Gary's notion that if the statement was written by the speaker it is essentially equal to a verbal speech, I would remind Gary that in a meeting a member is not allowed to make a speech unrelated to a pending motion without the permission of the assembly.

Perhaps what this member wants to do, in order to get his opinions in the record books, is make a motion to appoint a committee of one, consisting of himself, to draft a random statement and report immediately. :)

As for Gary's notion that if the statement was written by the speaker it is essentially equal to a verbal speech, I would remind Gary that in a meeting a member is not allowed to make a speech unrelated to a pending motion without the permission of the assembly.

I don't think that's what Gary is referring to but the answer to his question, is still, yes, as SG noted.

Archived