The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Suspend the Bylaws - wording against needed

Guest TheDL

I know one cannot suspend the bylaws but I am looking for the actual wording from RONR. I am out of town on business and don't have my copy of RONR with me but need to provide this information to some fellow organization members in my absence.

Would someone please help?

Thank you.

The requirement(s) for notice (how far in advance, degree of detail, mechanism of informing members, &c.) are found in the bylaws themselves. Notice is not always required. RONR, p. 580 ff reads:

Article IX: Amendment of Bylaws. The bylaws should always prescribe the procedure for their amendment, and such provision should always require at least that advance notice be given in a specified manner, and that the amendment be approved by a two-thirds vote. If the bylaws contain no provision for their amendment, they can be amended by a two-thirds vote if previous notice (in the sense defined on p. 121) has been given, or they can be amended by the vote of a majority of the entire membership. In making a requirement that notice be given by submitting the amendment at a meeting in advance of the one at which it is to be considered, the provision should always specify submission at “the previous meeting,” and not “a” previous meeting, since the latter would permit indefinite delay and would defeat the object of giving notice—namely, to alert the members to the proposed amendment so that all those interested can arrange to be present at its consideration. The requirement of notice restricts amendment of the proposed bylaw amendment to changes within the scope of the notice, as explained on pages 594–96 (see also Standard Characteristic 6, p. 306). The manner prescribed for giving notice should suit the needs of the particular assembly. For some, oral notice is sufficient; others may require written notice. Some may require only a general statement of the purport of the amendment; others may require that the exact wording of the amendment be given.

Robert, Henry M. III (2011-09-27). Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised, 11th edition (Kindle Locations 10737-10741). Perseus Books Group. Kindle Edition.

. . . a rule in the nature of a rule of order can be suspended . . .

Though, if I recall correctly, there are some rules that are (clearly?) in the nature of a rule of order that can't be suspended. So I think we're talking about a necessary but not sufficient condition here.

Though, if I recall correctly, there are some rules that are (clearly?) in the nature of a rule of order that can't be suspended. So I think we're talking about a necessary but not sufficient condition here.

Quite true, however, if those rules were not in the bylaws, the could not be suspended, in general.

Quite true, however, if those rules were not in the bylaws, the could not be suspended, in general.

"Rules contained in the bylaws (or constitution) cannot be suspended—no matter how large the vote in favor of doing so or how inconvenient the rule in question may be—unless the particular rule specifically provides for its own suspension, or unless the rule properly is in the nature of a rule of order as described on page 17, lines 22–25. A rule in the bylaws requiring that a vote—such as, for example, on the election of officers—be taken by (secret) ballot cannot be suspended, however, unless the bylaws so provide (see also Voting by Ballot, pp. 412–13)." [RONR, 11th ed., P. 263, ll. 7-11 ]

Under the 11th edition, any rule in the bylaws requiring that a vote be taken by ballot cannot be suspended. This rule may be seen as an exception to the first sentence, alluded to by J.J., that rules in the nature of rules of order may be suspended even if placed in the bylaws (which is why the word however appears in the second sentence). It is also is independent of other obstacles (of which there are plenty) to suspending a requirement for a ballot vote.

Archived