The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Can another person resign a voting member position for you??

Guest Autumn Henson

In the heat of the moment. I took it upon myself to resign for myself and my husband. I was the secretary and he was a voting member.He did not willingly want to resign. He would like to be reinstated as a voting member. Can you point me in the right direction or tell me what article we can use to get his reistated. Thank you

In the heat of the moment. I took it upon myself to resign for myself and my husband. I was the secretary and he was a voting member.He did not willingly want to resign. He would like to be reinstated as a voting member. Can you point me in the right direction or tell me what article we can use to get his reistated. Thank you

RONR has no rule that would allow you to "resign" for someone else. Before the assembly can accept your husband's resignation, he will need to offer it.

So, your husband does not need to be reinstated, if he has not resigned.

Also, if the assembly has not accepted your resignation, you could withdraw it. It has been done before, many times.

Next time you get excited, just offer the keys to your husband's silver Porsche. It might be a lot safer, though it probably has not been done many times before. I'd like to see what happens.

Well, Ms. Henson's husband isn't out of a voting position (whatever that is) as Tim noted, but should she really utilize the nuclear option? ( That's "nucular" for those in TX and those who hangout on Flatbush Avenue)

As has been pointed out, your husband doesn't need to be reinstated, and you don't need to quote any article from Robert's Rules to make that point. If the organization actually went ahead and accepted your husband's 'resignation', that was their error. Look at it this way -- suppose Mr. Hatfield makes an announcement that his arch enemy, Mr. McCoy is resigning immediately -- would anyone find it reasonable to accept McCoy's resignation on that basis?

'A resignation is submitted in writing, addressed to the secretary or appointing power; alternatively, it may be submitted during a meeting either orally or in writing.' (RONR 11th ed. p. 291 ll. 3-6). I think it's clear that when someone resigns orally, during a meeting, that person can only resign personally and individually (not on behalf of some other member). Any other interpretation leads to nonsensical results.

In the heat of the moment. I took it upon myself to resign for myself and my husband. I was the secretary and he was a voting member.He did not willingly want to resign. He would like to be reinstated as a voting member.

He still wanted to be reinstated after learning how tempestuous the secretary of this organization is? :)

We have here two different types of resignations - resignation from an office, and resignation from membership. A reading of page 291 would seem to indicate that they are handled somewhat differently.

If the organization accepted his resignation from membership, they would have done so in good faith, assuming that there was consent given. It is unclear if there was not consent - "He did not willingly want to resign" - does this mean he unwillingly accepted it, or was he just not informed of the decision? Was there a letter, or was it just verbally, "in the heat of the moment"?

I would suggest (a) checking the minutes to see if the resignation was accepted, and (B) writing a letter stating that he did not wish to resign, but in an excess of zeal, his wife indicated that he would be doing so. He could also just re-join the association, if possible.

Archived