The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Can the chair second a motion?

Guest Connie Gallant

In cases when the Chair has a duty to remain impartial (assemblies with about a dozen or more members or large committees) he should refrain from being partial (and seconding a motion demonstrates partiality). In cases when there is no duty of impartiality (committees and assemblies with about a dozen or fewer members) seconds aren't generally required. See FAQ #1.

. . . seconding a motion demonstrates partiality.

Well, not necessarily. But since the purpose of a second (p.36) is to indicate to the chair that more than one member thinks the motion is worth considering (if only so that it can be defeated), it makes little sense for the chair to second a motion.

But if the Chairman is a member of the group, the Chairman has the same rights of every other member (i.e. to make motions, second motions, enter into debate, vote, etc.), but should not to preserve the appearance of neutrality unless the group is operating under the 'relaxed' rules of RONR which Chris already mentioned.

In cases when the Chair has a duty to remain impartial (assemblies with about a dozen or more members or large committees) he should refrain from being partial (and seconding a motion demonstrates partiality). In cases when there is no duty of impartiality (committees and assemblies with about a dozen or fewer members) seconds aren't generally required. See FAQ #1.

But if the Chairman is a member of the group, the Chairman has the same rights of every other member (i.e. to make motions, second motions, enter into debate, vote, etc.), but should not to preserve the appearance of neutrality unless the group is operating under the 'relaxed' rules of RONR which Chris already mentioned.

"A second merely implies that the seconder agrees that the motion should come before the meeting and not that he necessarily favors the motion." RONR (11th ed.), p. 36 - as Mr. Mt. already mentioned,

As a pratical matter, if no second is forthcoming he can either state it without a second if he wants it before the meeting and take his chances on a point of order, or simply move on. His choice.

Edited by George Mervosh

"A second merely implies that the seconder agrees that the motion should come before the meeting and not that he necessarily favors the motion." RONR (11th ed.), p. 36

Granted. But I would think that while presiding the Chair shouldn't have any official opinion on whether a motion comes before the assembly and by seconding the motion wouldn't he be opining that this motion should be considered?

Granted. But I would think that while presiding the Chair shouldn't have any official opinion on whether a motion comes before the assembly and by seconding the motion wouldn't he be opining that this motion should be considered?

That's why I suggested he not second it in post #5 (his motives would be confusing), he should just state it if he feels it urgently needs considered (which is certainly silently opining the motion should be considered) and take his chances on a point of order being raised. I'm not suggesting he routinely do this, in fact just the opposite. He should most likely announce there is no second and move on nearly every time.

• 6 years later...
16 minutes ago, Guest Jerry Koster said:

Can the person who made the motion second his own motion?

No, that would defeat the point.

“After a motion has been made, another member who wishes it to be considered says, "I second the motion," or, "I second it," or even, "Second!"—without obtaining the floor, and in small assemblies without rising.” (RONR, 11th ed., pg. 35)

“The requirement of a second is for the chair's guidance as to whether he should state the question on the motion, thus placing it before the assembly. Its purpose is to prevent time from being consumed by the assembly's having to dispose of a motion that only one person wants to see introduced.” (RONR, 11th ed., pg. 36)

• 1 year later...
1 minute ago, Guest Pvaughn said:

Is it legal for a chairwoman to make a motion but no board members second with 1 member opposing. Then seconds the motion themselves.

If the assembly is using the small board rules (generally used in boards with not more than about a dozen members present), the chair may make a motion, and no second is required.

If the assembly is using the rules for larger assemblies, the chair may not make a motion without first relinquishing the chair to some other person (the vice chair, if there is one, or a person appointed by the chair and approved by the assembly if not).

In no event can the person making and seconding the motion be the same person, as that would defeat the point of requiring a second.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.