The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Motion made at last meeting passed...

amartin

If a motion was made at a meeting last month and the voting body passed it and the meeting closed. Can the chairperson come back to the new meeting the following month and say that she made a mistake and should not have allowed the motion to pass, and it will be taken off the record like it never exsisted? 

If this answer is in the book could someone please point me to the correct page? I am having trouble finding something.

Thanks for the help.

A

Under very limited circumstances, it is possible that an approved motion may create a 'continuing breach' of the rules, in which case a point of order raised at the next meeting could result in the motion being declared null and void (See RONR, 11th.ed. p.251 for those circumstances). And  I guess the chairperson could raise the point of order on her own. But usually such a point would be raised by a member of the assembly for a ruling by the chair, which could then be subject to appeal (with a second) and a possible over-ruling (by majority vote) of the chairperson's decision by the assembly.

she made a mistake and should not have allowed the motion to pass, and it will be taken off the record like it never exsisted? 

Since Mr. Lages addressed your other concerns, I'll just note that it's not proper at all to take it off the record like it never existed, even if it is declared null and void.  The motion stays on the record, as would any point of order regarding it at the upcoming meeting.

Archived