The Official RONR Q & A Forums

advisory committee

wwdslovene

Our organization does not wish to create a standing committee on financial matters, but it would like to have an advisory committee to help the Treasurer in his or her work (and a major goal would be to hope that out of such a committee would come a potential replacement for the Treasurer down the road). A "special" committe has a limited lifetime, so we don't want to use that term.

Does RONL recognize such a term as "advisory committee? Unfortunately I have lent my latest copy

to a friend just when this question comes up, so I turn to you all for advice.

Many thanks for any suggestions.

Why not create a standing committee and if, later on, you decide you don't need it, amend the bylaws again?

Or create the office/position of Assistant Treasurer. If I were Treasurer I'm not sure I'd want a committee "helping" me. Has your treasurer asked for this help?

Thanks Edgar, but as I noted, our organization really does not want to create yet another standing committee. We feeel that the way to go is "advisory" if possible. The way we work, creating the position of Assistant Treasurer would be problematic. And, yes, our treasurere has indeed asked for  help. At the current time this person handles every aspect of the budget. It is not fair to straddle one person with that job. Furthermore, if the Treasurer should be unable to serve for any reason, at the moment we would be in serious trouble because no one else has the skills to take over. If there were an advisory committee, then at least more than one person would be acquainted with how the treasurer works.

. . . our organization really does not want to create yet another standing committee. We feeel that the way to go is "advisory" if possible.

Well, a standing committee could be advisory if that's the role you want it to play. I guess I don't understand the opposition to "another" standing committee since it appears you want it to have a continuing (i.e. standing) function.

But stay tuned for more creative replies.

To answer the specific question, no, RONR does not recognize the term "advisory committee." But like Gues Edger, I don't understand the opposition to creating another standing committee with the defined roll of advising and assisting the Treasurer. If you don't want the committee to have a limited life, it certainly seems like what you need is a standing committee.

Does RONL recognize such a term as "advisory committee?

No, but a standing committee could certainly be advisory in nature.

Thanks Edgar, but as I noted, our organization really does not want to create yet another standing committee.

If this committee has a continuing existence it is, by definition, a standing committee in the sense RONR uses the term.

Does the phrase "standing committee" have some additional significance in your organization's rules?

Why not create a standing committee and if, later on, you decide you don't need it, amend the bylaws again?

Or create the office/position of Assistant Treasurer. If I were Treasurer I'm not sure I'd want a committee "helping" me. Has your treasurer asked for this help?

To clear up a detail:  There is no requirement in RONR that a "Standing Committee" can only be established in bylaws.

A motion to commit will do the job  --  the specification of what the committee does ("advisory", or anything else)  will determine if it is "Standing" or "Special" in nature.  See p. 491 for special rules that apply to vote requirements in some situations.

To clear up a detail:  There is no requirement in RONR that a "Standing Committee" can only be established in bylaws.

A motion to commit will do the job  --  the specification of what the committee does ("advisory", or anything else)  will determine if it is "Standing" or "Special" in nature.  See p. 491 for special rules that apply to vote requirements in some situations.

It may be, however, that the bylaws name certain standing committees without specifically permitting the establishment of any other standing committees, in which event a bylaws amendment will be required.

It seems, slovene, that you DO want to create a standing committee, but not give it any authority, perhaps, except to advise the treasurer (or assist). You seem to be assuming advisory and standing are mutually exclusive terms, but they aren't. Create the committee with as little authority as you want it to have.

Archived