The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Abstention vote

Netgnat

• 6 months later...

Where can I get an "Abstention Certificate" ie one of my supervisors must abstain when voting to pay a utility invoice for electricity due to the supervisors working for an affiliate company.  We were told that he could fill out an "abstention certificate" so that he did not have to state his reason for abstaining for the record at every meeting.

Where can I get an "Abstention Certificate" ie one of my supervisors must abstain when voting to pay a utility invoice for electricity due to the supervisors working for an affiliate company.  We were told that he could fill out an "abstention certificate" so that he did not have to state his reason for abstaining for the record at every meeting.

I've never heard of an "abstention certificate".  As Mr. Guest pointed out, there is no such thing mentioned in RONR. 

To the contrary, RONR specifies that one does not have to give a reason when abstaining.  One simply abstains.  However, if your organization has a special rule on the subject, then that rule probably takes priority over RONR.  Also, if this is a public body of some sort, state and/or local laws re abstaining from certain votes might apply.

I can't even fathom why he would need to abstain in the first place.

The only reason that RONR recommends abstaining, is if the vote is on a question in which he or she has a direct personal or pecuniary interest not in common with others.  Working for the company has no direct link to paying the invoice.  If the society  does not pay the bill, the lights will get turned off not only for him, but for the entire society.  And if the utility company does not get a check from the society, he will not lose his job, nor will he get promoted if they do.  

Maybe, if he were the sole proprietor of a company that was doing business with the society, he would be better off abstaining, but even so, that would make sense if the question was which of several companies to hire, but paying the bills that you've already racked up is something that one would assume would garner fairly unanimous support.  Unless your group is Congress.

Also, members cannot be asked and need not supply a reason for abstaining.  One can abstain for any reason--or no reason.

Archived