The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Traveling quorum

Guest Vonnie

From my previous experience as a Municipal Clerk, I learned that a "traveling quorum" was when member A contacted member B, who in turn contacted member C etc. to discuss how they would vote on an upcoming agenda item prior to the meeting being convened. I was hoping to find it defined on line to see if my interpretation is correct.

From my previous experience as a Municipal Clerk, I learned that a "traveling quorum" was when member A contacted member B, who in turn contacted member C etc. to discuss how they would vote on an upcoming agenda item prior to the meeting being convened. I was hoping to find it defined on line to see if my interpretation is correct.

Since the term "traveling quorum" appears nowhere in RONR, you will need to look elsewhere for a definition.

From my previous experience as a Municipal Clerk, I learned that a "traveling quorum" was when member A contacted member B, who in turn contacted member C etc. to discuss how they would vote on an upcoming agenda item prior to the meeting being convened.

As far as I can tell, that has nothing to do with traveling and nothing to do with a quorum. Cynics might say that qualifies it as perfect governmental jargon.

I have heard that referred to as "being polled."  Such a vote, outside of a meeting violates a fundament principle of parliamentary, and would require authorization in the bylaws (p. 423, ll. 17-23).

Archived