The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Nominations by Official letter

Guest John Morris

Can a member make a motion by letter if not able to attend the meeting in person?

For example; we have several members on military leave who are physically unable to attend the meeting and election nominations are due.  can they submit their nominations via "official letter"?

Can a member make a motion by letter if not able to attend the meeting in person?

For example; we have several members on military leave who are physically unable to attend the meeting and election nominations are due.  can they submit their nominations via "official letter"?

No.  Someone present will need to nominate the individuals that these absent members would like to see nominated.

Guest Willie Wilson

I am not so sure; my Unions By laws say members on Military Leave must be treated as fulltime members.  The Soldiers of Sailors Act of 1994 also states members on Military leave retain full emplyment benefits as "if employment was never broken".

I am not so sure; my Unions By laws say members on Military Leave must be treated as fulltime members.  The Soldiers of Sailors Act of 1994 also states members on Military leave retain full emplyment benefits as "if employment was never broken".

I'll take your word for it but this is the Robert's Rules of Order website, where the only rules we can opine on are those found in RONR.

George; if the letter was read by another member wouldn't that count as a "present member"?

A member could obtain floor and request to read from the letter, but in the end, that member (or any other member present) will need to actually nominate those people, and if the request is granted there will be no doubt where the nomination really come from.

Well, we're not talking about employees in this context, we're talking about members. In any case, any "full-time member" in or out of the military, would have to be present to nominate someone, so they would be treated exactly the same.

Your union bylaws supersede RONR, but only within your union.

Archived