The Official RONR Q & A Forums

How a motion is brought before the assembly

mikalac

Well, you could find out when some of the churches and other organizations in your area that meet more frequently have their business meetings and just sit and observe.

Churches? You think that will provide a good example of parliamentary procedure?

Next you'll advise attending the meetings of small dog clubs.

Well, you could find out when some of the churches and other organizations in your area that meet more frequently have their business meetings and just sit and observe. I can't guarantee that they do everything by the book, but a lot of this stuff is easier to understand when you see it being used.

Good idea. I already know that some of the local governments and schools hold regular meetings and use RR, although I haven't taken the time to attend these meetings, being busy with you know what. After 9/20 I will do that and not only learn more about RR, but also what subjects are hot in the community. FYI, I recently asked 25 schools and local govt's what they use as parliamentary law in their meetings. Three have responded that they use RR. I expect more answers before 9/20, which I will use in my speech opposing removing RR from the bylaws. I will present that speech in this forum later this week for suggested improvements by the forum members and guests. I don't want to do it sooner because I want to prevent the ever watchful Board from having sufficient time to caucus and prepare an effective rebuttal.

You may wish to consider getting in touch with the National Association of Parliamentarians and see if there is a study unit close to where you are and join them.

At your suggestion I just sent them an email asking about a local chapter. I'm not optimistic because I live near the southern tip of NJ, 5 miles from the Cape May City and the ferry to DE. I could get to Atlantic City, 50 miles north, once a month. North Jersey, near NYC, would take me 2.5 hours to get there, so that's out for me.

You can look online for local units of NAP and chapters of AIP.

NAP:  http://www.parliamentarians.org/members/units/

AIP:  http://aipparl.org/site/about-us/aip-chapters/

Closest I see are those in the Phila. area, but that's 2 hours away. Hey, I have you guys right in my living room. Need I anything more?

In addition to what others have said, I would like to add that non-members have no rights at all and therefore do not matter.

I am aware of that. Spouses and "significant others" often sit together in meetings. An owner = a member = a name that is on the deed and therefore on the tax list, of which I have the 9/10 copy from the tax assessor. (9/10 is the cutoff date for the meeting data and submissions.) That's why I will make a Req. for Info. asking the chair if the voting procedure is accurate for the questions; that is, that only the owners vote and not the non-owners. If the voting is subject to error, then I will protest the meeting to the DCA.

PS. Voting for Directors is done by ballot, so its under strict control. Until I came along, no questions were allowed, so the voting procedure on questions has to be looked after carefully this year. I already warned the Board about this potential problem in an email, so they don't have an alibi if they mess up.

Archived