The Official RONR Q & A Forums

strange motion or compound motion

rynait

Hello, 

this motion that i am questioning occurred in a meeting elsewhere while i was attending my meeting.  

I got the word on this and could not comprehend this motion. short story. 

board officer A wanted insert two item in agenda prior to adopting, resulted in debate amongst the board.

a board officer (b ) rose and made a motion, "close the meeting and postpone". 

that was seconded and voted. resulting in a tie (4-4),  Chair broke tie in favor of the motion. 

everybody left the room, going home.

In short I thought that motion is inappropriate. but am suffering in trying to comprehend this.  

A) close the meeting = adjourned?

B ) postpone = postponed indefinitely? 

C) no motion to adjourn

D) no new date/location for next board meeting. (BTW that organization does not have special meeting for board)

Am I correct to believe this might means organization may not have another board meeting until annual meeting. and any business in between is not permitted until board finally "meet".

R

Although there may have been no proper motion to adjourn, the meeting was adjourned. A meeting is where a body of people assemble to transact business. If there is no assembly, there is no meeting.

Also, an annual meeting is a meeting of the general membership. The board does not meet at the annual meeting, although there may be a separate board meeting around that time. The board can consider new business at the next board meeting.

Also, an annual meeting is a meeting of the general membership. 

Well, not necessarily (though that may be what the OP is referring to). If a board elects its own officers I can imagine it would do so at its annual meeting.

In any case, in this particular instance I'd ask the chair what he thought the members were voting on since it's the chair's responsibility to insure that the effect of adopting a particular motion is clear.

Hello, 

i understood from other forum links (I tried to find the forum), that there is three ways to have "valid" regular board meetings are

a ) specified in bylaws

b ) calling board meeting procedure specified in bylaws

c ) by resolution(s) which could be recorded in the minutes, fixing next board meeting or next several board meetings.

is my understanding on validation of calling a board meeting correct?

R

Archived