The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Is verbal notice of resignation official?

elijah

In these few months, our chairman has expressed verbally at least three times her intention to resign from her post (including one time in council meeting). The secretary has advised her to submit resignation letter. However, if she refused to submit letter, can council takes her verbal resignation as official notice of resignation?

According to RONR, a resignation should be submitted in writing but can also be submitted orally at a meeting.  Here is a quote from RONR on page 291 regarding resignations:

"If a member who has accepted an office, committee assignment, or other duty finds that he is unable to perform it, he should submit his resignation. A resignation is submitted in writing, addressed to the secretary or appointing power; alternatively, it may be submitted during a meeting either orally or in writing.* By submitting a resignation, the member is, in effect, requesting to be excused from a duty. The chair, on reading or announcing the resignation, can assume a motion "that the resignation be accepted."
The duties of a position must not be abandoned until a resignation has been accepted and becomes effective, or at least until there has been a reasonable opportunity for it to be accepted."

An intention to resign is not necessarily the same thing as a resignation.

I agree with Mr. Guest's statement.  I read the original post to say that she had actually resigned verbally, but it she said only that "I intend to resign", that is not the same thing as an actual resignation.  It is simply an expression of intent to do something in the future....which she may or may not actually do.

Thanks all. Sorry for not clear enough in my previous post. The chairman did say "I resign" a few times (one time in council meeting).

Well, you could have immediately moved to accept the resignation, but you snoozed and therefore lost, which unfortunately does not rhyme in the past tense.

If she does it again (during a meeting) be prepared.

• 4 years later...
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.