The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Parliamentarian Role

jtc0601

Can you direct me to other reports that define a Parliamentarian's role in a BOD meeting and general meeting?  Is a Parliamentarian & Sgt at Arms/Timekeeper have the same roles or do they serve two totally different roles?  We are trying to figure out if we need that position in our Organization.   I've read some but wanted to ask the experts.  Thanks!

Can you direct me to other reports that define a Parliamentarian's role in a BOD meeting and general meeting? Is a Parliamentarian & Sgt at Arms/Timekeeper have the same roles or do they serve two totally different roles? We are trying to figure out if we need that position in our Organization. I've read some but wanted to ask the experts. Thanks!

The role of the parliamentarian is to advise the chair on parliamentary procedure. The Sergeant at Arms often controls the physical arrangements of the meeting room (microphones, tables, etc.) and is also charged with removing extremely disruptive people from the meeting, if if comes to that. The Timekeeper keeps time for debate.

None of these positions are likely to be necessary except in a large convention.

Archived