The Official RONR Q & A Forums

ByLaws Never Voted Upon

CrystalDiamond

I have three Questions. I joined a social group that had bylaws, never looked at them until I started smelling a rat.  To come to find out, their bylaws were never voted on? Older members from the club said they were never voted on bylaws and were taken from the old social club and used for the new social club. 

Q#1.  In reality does this mean that all that was done in the years null and void and no one should complain?

Q#2. Are there penalties for not abiding by bylaws once accepted and voted upon?

Q#3.  If they are penalties, should it be recorded under fines? If not how and where?

In the order you asked...

1)  No.  But you should complain and see to it that the bylaws do get formally adopted.  Probably with a review (by a committee) first, to check that they describe how you are doing things now (presuming you, collectively, are not unhappy with the current setup).   The committee could also offer amendments to the main "Adopt the Bylaws" motion, as well as can any member in case anybody thinks things should be done differently.

2&3)  That is for you, collectively, to decide.  Chapter XX deals with discipline, and it is a complex business.  RONR has no automatic penalties.

What's the difference between the old social club and the new one?  If there was never a revision of the bylaws, then they stand as they were.  If the officers or the assembly are not abiding by the bylaws, then a point of order should be made, and the board or assembly must begin to abide by them immediately.  If they still are not followed, then disciplinary proceedings should commence.

Thank you for your replies.  The difference between the old club and the new club is that the members split, which ended in a dissolution of the old club.  A new club was started with the same old president.  The president just took the old bylaws and incorporated them into the new club, with a vote, I understand.  I am in the new club.  I volunteered to chair the bylaws committee (it's tough), we have 5 member including myself, we have looked at the old bylaws and decided to rescind much of what was written in the bylaws.  It was messy.  There should have been a set of standing rules, but wasn't.  The club voted and I called a Special Call Meeting and it is today a 5:00pm.  So I was just wondering should I mention "I know the old bylaws were not voted upon.  

come to find out, their bylaws were never voted on? Older members from the club said they were never voted on bylaws and were taken from the old social club and used for the new social club. 

The president just took the old bylaws and incorporated them into the new club, with a vote, I understand. . . . .

The club voted and I called a Special Call Meeting and it is today a 5:00pm.  . . . .

So I was just wondering should I mention "I know the old bylaws were not voted upon.  

So there was a vote?

So there wasn't a vote?

It's got me a bit confused, too. ; . .

Regardless, the meeting was a flop.  I quit, they do not want change.  The President and Vice president became very angry because our bylaw committee voted on a presentation, instead of giving out the rescinded bylaws to the assembly first.  The old bylaws never mentioned anything about the disposition of amendments.  Thanks everyone.

Archived