The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Regular meeting minutes at annual meeting

Andy Travis

P. 94-95 in RONR says "The minutes of the previous regular meeting are read as usual at the annual meeting..."

My question is, does anybody from the general assembly and not just board members have the right to make a motion for a correction to the regular minutes at an annual meeting?

Read in context, the answer is clear.

Any member of the body that is meeting has the right to make motions.

Andy, I think you are confusing the two types of annual meetings. You appear to be talking about the annual meeting of the general membership. It would not be appropriate to read the minutes from the last regular board meeting at the annual meeting of the membership. Go back and reread from line 25 on P 94. and you will see it is referring to a regular meeting of a particular assembly (the board in your case) that is also designated as its annual meeting.

Andy, I think you are confusing the two types of annual meetings. You appear to be talking about the annual meeting of the general membership. It would not be appropriate to read the minutes from the last regular board meeting at the annual meeting of the membership. Go back and reread from line 25 on P 94. and you will see it is referring to a regular meeting of a particular assembly (the board in your case) that is also designated as its annual meeting.

Yes I am referring to the annual meeting of the general membership. Is this not what p.94-95 is about?

So only if the board is having the annual meeting instead of having their regular meeting that month are the regular meeting minutes read at the annual meeting? If the board is also still having their regular monthly meeting that month then the regular meeting minutes would not be read at the annual meeting?

The annual meeting is a regular monthly meeting. There's just a few more items on the menu agenda.

Well that's what I thought. But I'm still confused if the regular board meeting minutes from the previous month are or are not read at the annual membership meeting (AGM).

They are not. The board approves its own minutes.

The quote you refer to in your original post refers to a situation where the general membership has regular meetings at least as frequently as quarterly, and one of these meetings is designated as the annual meeting. In such a case, the general membership approves the minutes of the previous meeting of the general membership at the annual meeting, just as it would at any other regular meeting.

They are not. The board approves its own minutes.

The quote you refer to in your original post refers to a situation where the general membership has regular meetings at least as frequently as quarterly, and one of these meetings is designated as the annual meeting. In such a case, the general membership approves the minutes of the previous meeting of the general membership at the annual meeting, just as it would at any other regular meeting.

So the AGM minutes are not approved by the board or a committee soon after the AGM, but rather at the next AGM? If this is the case I'm confused because I thought I was told many times that a year is to long to wait to approve the AGM minutes as people will forget what happened.

So the AGM minutes are not approved by the board or a committee soon after the AGM, but rather at the next AGM? If this is the case I'm confused because I thought I was told many times that a year is to long to wait to approve the AGM minutes as people will forget what happened.

No. As I said, this quote applies when the membership meets as least as frequently as quarterly. If the membership only meets annually, then the membership should authorize the board or a committee to approve the minutes.

If they are apples and oranges I can see how one type of meeting would approve its minutes and the other its own minutes. (Examples always help me).

There are circumstances where a board would also authorize a committee to approve its minutes. The board might also meet less frequently than quarterly. The board should also do this if the terms of some of all of the board members will be ending before the next board meeting.

No. As I said, this quote applies when the membership meets as least as frequently as quarterly. If the membership only meets annually, then the membership should authorize the board or a committee to approve the minutes.

When you say "the membership meets as frequently as quarterly" does this refer to the general membership not the board of directors?

The annual general membership meeting, if they only meet once a year, should authorize SOMEONE to approve their minutes without waiting a year.  If there is a board that meets monthly, you (the general membership) might select that board to approve them at THEIR (board's) next meeting.

Or, you (the general membership) might form a committee (if that's allowed per your bylaws) to approve those minutes.

Or, I suppose you could find a wandering band of willing parliamentarians who are hanging around on the streetcorner (if that's allowed per your bylaws) to approve those minutes.

In any case, boards approve board minutes.  The general membership approves general membership minutes.  But if the general membership meets only once a year, they should authorize SOME body to approve those minutes without waiting a year.

I hope that helps.

P. 94-95 in RONR says "The minutes of the previous regular meeting are read as usual at the annual meeting..."

My question is, does anybody from the general assembly and not just board members have the right to make a motion for a correction to the regular minutes at an annual meeting?

Since the annual meeting is not a board meeting, but rather a meeting of the general assembly, only members of the general assembly have the right to offer corrections.  If the board members are also general members, they can as well.

I hope I am correct in assuming that the minutes in question are minutes of the last regular meeting of the assembly, not the board.  If I'm wrong, then you are getting mixed up as to which body is which.    The board approves its own minutes.

This is just a hunch:  Check your bylaws carefully to make sure you actually have a Board.

Archived