The Official RONR Q & A Forums

QUORUM WHEN BOARD POSITIONS NOT FILLED

Guest DAVID ROWE

Our Bylaws (sadly very outdated but that is another matter) state that "The Officers of the Corporation shall consist of a President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer, the immediate past President and five (5) elected Directors.".  They also state that the Directors are to be elected by the membership at the Annual Membership Meeting.   However, because no-one was prepared to stand for election, the Board has been running light by two members for some time.  I cannot find anything that clearly states that a quorum is to be determined using the number in the Bylaws (10) or the present size of the Board (8) - that is six (6) and five (5) respectively.  The water is further muddied by the Virginia State Code which states (specifically A.3 & B.):

§ 13.1-862. Vacancy on board of directors.

A. Unless the articles of incorporation provide otherwise, if a vacancy occurs on the board of directors, including a vacancy resulting from an increase:

1. The members may fill the vacancy;

2. The board of directors may fill the vacancy; or

3. If the directors remaining in office constitute fewer than a quorum of the board, they may fill the vacancy by the affirmative vote of a majority of the directors remaining in office.

B. Unless the articles of incorporation provide otherwise, if the vacant office was held by a director elected by a voting group of members, only the members of that voting group are entitled to vote to fill the vacancy if it is filled by the members.

C. A vacancy that will occur at a specific later date, by reason of a resignation effective at a later date under subsection B of § 13.1-859 or otherwise, may be filled before the vacancy occurs but the new director may not take office until the vacancy occurs.

D. The corporation may file an amended annual report with the Commission indicating the filling of a vacancy. 

I should be grateful for opinions and advice on how I should determine a quorum for the Board, which has its Annual Meeting this Tuesday, 10 march 2015.

Per RONR, a quorum consists of a majority of the living, breathing directors actually holding office, regardless of how many are authorized to be on the board.  You count people, not seats.  Your bylaws or state law, of course, could provide otherwise.

I don't see anything in the statute you quoted that changes that, in my opinion, but we do not give legal advice on this forum.  It is beyond the scope of this forum.  There could well be another statute, however, that does define what a quorum shall be.

Our Bylaws . . . state that "The Officers of the Corporation shall consist of a President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer, the immediate past President and five (5) elected Directors.".  They also state that the Directors are to be elected by the membership at the Annual Membership Meeting. 

I assume your bylaws also state that these ten persons comprise your board. It's not enough to simply say that they're all "officers".

Richard - Thank you.  You have given me firm ground from which to make my point.

g40 - Thank you for this.  The Bylaws must be re-written!

Edgar - Thankfully there is a separate section that states that the management of the corporation shall be vested in a Board and its composition

Grateful for any more comments.

I am trying to discover who has voting right s at a board meeting.  I did not think that non elected assistants to officers had that right?

Only members of the body that is meeting have any parliamentary rights. That means only board members at board meetings.

For future reference, this forum works best if you post a new question as a new topic. Think of this as David Rowe's topic.

Archived