The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Secretary's Report

Guest bill erickson

Guest bill erickson

On what should the Secretary report under the agenda item Board officer reports?

Our secretary uses this time as an opportunity to introduce and "report" his opinion on various topics. The topics are not on the agenda, and the Board has not asked him to report on the topics. He provides the Board with copies of his"report" and then includes this in the minutes. At our last meeting I made comments about his "report" that contradicted his opinion. My comments were not included in the minutes. 

I am concerned that this gives the impression that the secretary's point of view on a variety of topics is accepted by the board.

Well, your comments shouldn't be included in the minutes but neither should the secretary's. The report should simply be received and filed. I imagine a secretary's report would include things like the number of new members. But RONR doesn't directly address secretary's reports (though it does mention the treasurer's report) and, in fact, says that "strictly speaking, in a purely deliberative assembly, the officers make no reports" (p.476}.

In a sense, I suppose you could say that the minutes are the secretary's report (of what happened at the preceding meeting).

Duly noted.

Notes to self: Quit while you're ahead. Less is more.

Well, at least on this forum, apparently.

I keep misplacing the notes I've made on the subject.  :)

I made myself a new one the other day, and I'm trying not to misplace it, but it does tend to get covered up with other stuff once in a while.

Although it's not about a "secretary's report", I think this citation is relevant:

"The minutes should never reflect the secretary's opinion, favorable or otherwise, on anything said or done." (RONR 11th ed., p. 468, ll. 18-20)

I agree.  However, in many organizations it is customary for the secretary to give a report in addition to reading the minutes.  The report, as someone mentioned, is often about correspondence, new members, etc. 

On what should the Secretary report under the agenda item Board officer reports?

Our secretary uses this time as an opportunity to introduce and "report" his opinion on various topics. The topics are not on the agenda, and the Board has not asked him to report on the topics. He provides the Board with copies of his"report" and then includes this in the minutes. At our last meeting I made comments about his "report" that contradicted his opinion. My comments were not included in the minutes. 

I am concerned that this gives the impression that the secretary's point of view on a variety of topics is accepted by the board.

The Secretary's Report, or any officer's report, should pertain to his duties as an officer, not his personal opinions on whatever he feels like talking about.

Reports and comments should not be included in the minutes. I agree that including the Secretary's opinions in the minutes is quite concerning, and RONR explicitly notes that this is improper. The board should adopt a motion ordering the Secretary to cease this practice immediately, and if he does not comply, get a new Secretary. See FAQ #20.

Archived