The Official RONR Q & A Forums

how a special meeting is run

bobby101

Our Club's by-laws state that, "upon the written request of 10% of voting members or at the request of the Board, the President shall call a Special Meeting of the Club,". The by-laws also go into notification procedures and that only the business specified in the call can be transacted, etc. A 10% quorum is also required (our regular meetings require only an 8% quorum.) The purpose of the meeting, per the by-laws, is for the Board to, "hear the concerns of the general membership on a specific issue." I know that when we have our Annual membership Meeting that the Board is not present as a Board and have no special rights but only the rights of a regular member. My question deals with how the meeting is to be run. Since it's called for by the membership, how is the meeting organized and run and by whom is it overseen? Essentially, who's in charge and how do we do it in such a way that the members who have identified the issue to be addressed have the opportunity to present their case. Appreciate your thoughts. bobby101

Our Club's by-laws state that, "upon the written request of 10% of voting members or at the request of the Board, the President shall call a Special Meeting of the Club,". The by-laws also go into notification procedures and that only the business specified in the call can be transacted, etc. A 10% quorum is also required (our regular meetings require only an 8% quorum.) The purpose of the meeting, per the by-laws, is for the Board to, "hear the concerns of the general membership on a specific issue." I know that when we have our Annual membership Meeting that the Board is not present as a Board and have no special rights but only the rights of a regular member. My question deals with how the meeting is to be run. Since it's called for by the membership, how is the meeting organized and run and by whom is it overseen? Essentially, who's in charge and how do we do it in such a way that the members who have identified the issue to be addressed have the opportunity to present their case. Appreciate your thoughts. bobby101

This situation does not match the way a special meeting is understood in RONR.  If it is a special meeting of the membership, then the purpose is for the membership to conduct business, as described in the call of the meeting.  The board is not there to "hear concerns". The board is not there at all, though all of its members might be.  Since your bylaws treat it more like a mere gripe session, I don't think the rules in RONR are going to help you much.

Our Club's by-laws state that, "upon the written request of 10% of voting members or at the request of the Board, the President shall call a Special Meeting of the Club,". . . . The purpose of the meeting, per the by-laws, is for the Board to, "hear the concerns of the general membership on a specific issue." 

Well, you've got a problem because, as you know, the board, as a board, won't be present at a special meeting of the club.

My question deals with how the meeting is to be run. Since it's called for by the membership, how is the meeting organized and run and by whom is it overseen? Essentially, who's in charge and how do we do it in such a way that the members who have identified the issue to be addressed have the opportunity to present their case.

The President calls the meeting, as your bylaws provide (although he must do so if the board or 10% of the members ask him to). The President also presides over the meeting. Ultimately, however, the membership is in charge of its own meeting. It should be run in accordance with Robert's Rules of Order and any other rules of the organization.

Why wouldn't members have an opportunity to present their case?

The President calls the meeting, as your bylaws provide (although he must do so if the board or 10% of the members ask him to). The President also presides over the meeting. Ultimately, however, the membership is in charge of its own meeting. It should be run in accordance with Robert's Rules of Order and any other rules of the organization.

Why wouldn't members have an opportunity to present their case?

And why would the members need to present their case to the board?  The members ought to be able to simply vote to direct the board to follow the wishes of the membership.  It sounds like under your bylaws, the tail wags the dog.

I agree with Josh and Gary.

If the special meeting is called by the board and only for the board members do they have to inform all board members of the meeting.

Yes.   Otherwise anything adopted at the meeting will be entirely improper and void.

I believe all of the regular members of this board will agree with Dr.Stackpole's answers.  ALL members of the body which is to meet must be notified of a special meeting or all action taken at the meeting is void.  

However, if there is a "situation" (problem) with one particular board member, the president and all other board members are free to discuss the matter informally among themselves (or with whomever they choose to include) informally, whether it be in person at somebody's house, in a restaurant, in the neighborhood bar, by phone, by email, or by whatever means they want to.  But, they can take NO official action in those "discussion groups".   Those talks or "get togethers" are in no way a formal meeting.  They are merely informal discussions among a group of supposed friends.  

Edited to add:  Guest Ginger, in the future, please post a new question as a new topic, rather than in an existing thread.  That way, answers to your questions won't be confused with the original poster's original question, even if the issues seem similar.

Archived