The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Changing a vote

Guest Donna Beeley

See this  http://www.robertsrules.com/interp_list.html#2006_21

My guess is the member wishes to change their vote long past the time allowed.

Motions to reconsider the vote, or rescind or amend something previously adopted (assuming the motion was adopted) may be in order but no, they don't get made prior to a member truly changing their vote within the rules.  Any member may second these motions assuming they are in order.

Maybe a few more facts about your situation will help get you a firm answer.

How does a member proceed when they wish to change their vote?

Also, does the member first have to motion for reconsideration of the topic first? And who can give the second?

i don't think we have enough information to properly answer the question.  What exactly do you mean by changing one's vote?  The link provided by Mr. Mervosh should help answer your question.

For example, any member can change his or her vote prior to the announcement of the vote result.

After the result is announced, it takes unanimous consent for a member to change his vote.

A member who voted on the prevailing side of a motion can move to have the vote original motion reconsidered.  Limitations and special rules apply.

If the vote motion is in fact reconsidered, members are free to vote the way they want to on the new vote regardless of how they voted the first time.

Any member can move to rescind or amend something previously adopted, again subject to certain limitations and rules.  On the motion to rescind or amend, all members can vote however they want to without regard to how they voted on the original motion.

So, as you can see, we need to know exactly what you mean when you are asking about how a member "changes his vote".  It depends.

Edited to add;  A motion to reconsider can be seconded by anyone regardless of how he or she voted on the original motion.  Only the person who makes the motion has to have voted on the prevailing side.

Is it the vote that's being reconsidered or is it the motion?

Sorry, I should have said a member who voted on the prevailing side can move to have the MOTION reconsidered.  Getting the original motion reconsidered is one way that a member can change his or her vote if it's too late to do it in the normal way of changing one's vote.  I just got ahead of myself. Thanks!   :)

Is it the vote that's being reconsidered or is it the motion?

Sorry, I should have said a member who voted on the prevailing side can move to have the MOTION reconsidered.  Getting the original motion reconsidered is one way that a member can change his or her vote if it's too late to do it in the normal way of changing one's vote.  I just got ahead of myself. Thanks!   :)

" The purpose of reconsidering a vote is to permit correction of hasty, ill-advised, or erroneous action, or to take into account added information or a changed situation that has developed since the taking of the vote."  RONR (11th ed.), p. 315  bolded by me.

" The purpose of reconsidering a vote is to permit correction of hasty, ill-advised, or erroneous action, or to take into account added information or a changed situation that has developed since the taking of the vote."  RONR (11th ed.), p. 315  bolded by me.

I'm pretty sure I've been burned by this one before. At least this time I raised the question rhetorically so I guess it was Mr. Brown who got singed.

Thanks, Mr. M.

Archived