The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Guest speaker

Andy Travis

This has come up recently in one or two other threads.  I believe that a nonmember can be allowed or invited to attend a meeting and to address the body by a majority vote, but to speak in debate clearly requires a two thirds vote to suspend the rules.  RONR p. 263 footnote.

A request of a nonmember to be allowed to attend a meeting or to address the body will often be granted by the chair by unanimous consent if there is no objection.

See also pages 96-97 re guests attending meetings and addressing the assembly.

If the chair does not respond to the non-members request to attend and address the Board and no other Board member has objected to the non-member attending, is this a form of unanimous consent (even by the chair since they haven't objected) that the non-member may attend.

Obviously someone would have to inform the non-member that they can attend (in my situation if the chair doesn't or can't inform them there is someone who can).

If the chair does not respond to the non-members request to attend and address the Board and no other Board member has objected to the non-member attending, is this a form of unanimous consent (even by the chair since they haven't objected) that the non-member may attend.

Obviously someone would have to inform the non-member that they can attend (in my situation if the chair doesn't or can't inform them there is someone who can).

The granting of consent by the board, whether it be by vote or by unanimous consent, can occur only at a meeting of the board.

For a better understanding of what is meant by "unanamous consent", read what is said in RONR, 11th ed., on pages 54-56.

if the guest hasn't previously been given permission to attend the meeting he'll have to wait outside until such permission is (or isn't) granted.

Archived