The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Format for Notice of Motion - vs - Use of "Whereas" and "Be it resolved" statement

Guest Guy Savard

I intent to make a Notice of Motion suggesting two major changes to our By-Laws including a change to our member annual fee.  I like the format that I have seen on some Web sites where the Notice of Motion is presented using "Whereas" (Preamble) and the "Be it Resolved" type statement as I believe that this format allows the member to make a more informed decision when the Motion is actually presented at the upcoming meeting.

Colleagues have very different views on the use of this format with many suggesting that it can only be used with "Resolutions"

1. What are the pros and cons of using this format?
  2. Is it appropriate to use when sending a written Notice of  Motion?

Note: I have a copy of the RRO Newly Revised In Brief (2011) but very little is covered on RESOLUTIONS.  Any advise and references would be most appreciated 

Guy

Your other members are correct that resolutions - which are simply motions presented in more formal language - are where 'Whereas' and 'Therefore be it resolved' clauses are usually found. RONR says that the exact text of a motion is not necessary for an adequate written notice of motion (RONR, 11th ed. p. 121, ll.22-27), but the notice must describe accurately and completely what the motion is intended to accomplish.

Personally, I think using resolution language is unnecessary for a notice of motion, and may even make it somewhat more difficult to see what the motion is really about. In fact, for many societies there is hardly ever a need for any motion to be presented in resolution language.

Note: I have a copy of the RRO Newly Revised In Brief (2011) but very little is covered on RESOLUTIONS.

RONR ("The Right Book") goes into excruciating detail (pp.105-109), going as far as saying which words should be underlined or in italics and where to place the periods and commas.

Edited at 6:05 to add: I agree with Mr. Lages that making a motion in the form of a resolution is usually not warranted, especially for a motion to amend the bylaws.

Motions in the form of a resolution are good when, for example, you want to honor someone.

Whereas, John Doe is a great guy; and

Whereas, John Doe painted the clubhouse for free; and

Whereas, John Doe brings beer to every meeting; now therefore be it

Resolved, that John Doe be named Member of the Year.

I may have misplaced a comma or semi-colon.

Thanks Edgar.  I have order the book  from our Public library and I am anxious to receive it.    In addition,  I am ordering the CD promoted on this Web site.  Do you personally think it is a good format to use when submitting a Notice of Motion  ?

Do you personally think it is a good format to use when submitting a Notice of Motion  ?

No. Please see my edited post above. The notice of a motion need not be in any particular format. As Mr. Lages noted, "the notice must describe accurately and completely what the motion is intended to accomplish".

Keep it simple. Less is more.

Since what you are proposing are bylaw changes, you should follow whatever procedure for bylaw amendments is specified in your bylaws.  Bylaws generally require some kind of previous notice for bylaw amendments, sometimes even requiring that the exact text of the proposed amendment be provided.  Bylaw amendments are usually treated differently from more routine motions, even those motions requiring previous notice.   Check your bylaws to see what they require.  If they are silent about the amendment process, then it's covered pretty well in RONR.

I like the format that I have seen on some Web sites where the Notice of Motion is presented using "Whereas" (Preamble) and the "Be it Resolved" type statement as I believe that this format allows the member to make a more informed decision when the Motion is actually presented at the upcoming meeting.

When the motion to amend the bylaws is made, all the reasons you think it should be adopted (what you might have included in the "Whereas" clauses) can be presented during debate.

I intent to make a Notice of Motion suggesting two major changes to our By-Laws including a change to our member annual fee.  I like the format that I have seen on some Web sites where the Notice of Motion is presented using "Whereas" (Preamble) and the "Be it Resolved" type statement as I believe that this format allows the member to make a more informed decision when the Motion is actually presented at the upcoming meeting.

Colleagues have very different views on the use of this format with many suggesting that it can only be used with "Resolutions"

It is correct that it is only appropriate to use this format with resolutions because, by definition, a motion written in this format is a resolution.

1.) The main advantage behind the resolution format is if the resolution is of special importance or if the motion is lengthy or complicated. A preamble (the "Whereas" clauses) is useful if the motion is to be published, and thus it may be necessary for others who read the resolution to know the reasoning behind the resolution. The main disadvantage is that members may support the motion itself, but not some of the stated reasons for adopting the motion, which may make adopting the motion more complicated than it needs to be.

2.) I don't think it is wise to include whereas clauses in a motion to amend the bylaws, in the notice of the motion or in the motion itself. As others have suggested, the reasoning can be explained in debate.

Note: I have a copy of the RRO Newly Revised In Brief (2011) but very little is covered on RESOLUTIONS.  Any advise and references would be most appreciated 

Guy

The resolution format is not appropriate for previous notice, nor is it appropriate for the motion to amend the bylaws, which would have to contain the exact additions, strikeouts, and other specific changes to the language of the existing bylaws, except in the case of a general revision (rewrite).

Your bylaws probably contain details on the amendment process that must be followed, especially regarding just what must be contained in the notice of proposed amendment.  If they don't, RONR requires at a minimum that the scope of the intended amendment be clearly identified.

Your bylaws may require that the exact textual changes be included.  Check and follow them carefully.

Archived