The Official RONR Q & A Forums

RONR, Newly Revised in Japanese

Larry Cisar

Over the years questions have been asked about RONR in German, Russian, Spanish, and, yes, "plain English".

I'm not sure a translation is what's needed. Rather each culture should build its system of parliamentary procedure from the ground up. Surely the many clubs in Japan must refer to/rely on a commonly accepted set of rules. If not, perhaps its time someone created one. Or maybe the rules of decorum, for example, are so ingrained there that no written rules are needed?

As just one example, I would think consensus would have a higher value in Japan than RONR gives it.

Further, without fluency in the language in question, I don't know how the authorship team could "authorize" a foreign language non-English edition or make it "official".

Edgar, because mainland China is NOT a democracy!!!

Nevertheless, there are at least 18 members of the National Association of Parliamentarians in mainland China, and they have applied for a charter as an NAP association (the first outside North America).

A Chinese version could be marketed to the Chinese "underground."  Of course, the "authorities" might ban it!  So it's hard to see how the publisher could make a profit in mainland China, but perhaps there would be a sufficient market inTaiwan to sell a Chinese version there.

I'm sure the publisher greatly appreciates your expertise in such matters.

So? I would presume there are still business, civic, professional, and other organizations which may benefit from the use of parliamentary procedure.

A Chinese version could be marketed to the Chinese "underground."  Of course, the "authorities" might ban it!  So it's hard to see how the publisher could make a profit in mainland China, but perhaps there would be a sufficient market inTaiwan to sell a Chinese version there.

There is a Chinese translation of the tenth edition, published by Truth and Wisdom Press, a publisher of Chinese textbooks. It doesn't seem very "underground" to me.

So? I would presume there are still business, civic, professional, and other organizations which may benefit from the use of parliamentary procedure.

There is a Chinese translation of the tenth edition, published by Truth and Wisdom Press, a publisher of Chinese textbooks. It doesn't seem very "underground" to me.

But I'm quite sure it's not an "authorized or official translation", as referred to in post #1.

Archived