The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Closed Session

Guest April Evans

Since persons who are not members (of the body that is meeting) have no right to be present, they can be excluded either by unanimous consent (i.e. without objection) or, if there's disagreement among the members, by voting on a motion to exclude non-members.

Note that this is not the same thing as meeting in executive session though the two are often conflated.

Since persons who are not members (of the body that is meeting) have no right to be present, they can be excluded either by unanimous consent (i.e. without objection) or, if there's disagreement among the members, by voting on a motion to exclude non-members.

Note that this is not the same thing as meeting in executive session though the two are often conflated.

It seems that RONR "conflates" the two. See the example on page 230 and what is said at the top of page 645.

When a meeting goes into closed session, it is required to verbally say the closed meeting motion?  I am new to the Roberts Rules of Order.  Any information would be helpful :)

If you mean going into executive session, then yes, a motion is necessary, as is a motion to come out of executive session when the time comes.

Archived