The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Non-voting ex-officio member

JerryRig

I think the original poster needs to explain a bit better what is going on.  We need more information, although, Hieu's answer does seem to cover it based on the scant information we have been furnished.  I'm not sure, though, that what the OP is asking about necessarily requires that those members be ex officio members.  It might be due to a misunderstanding of just what the term means.

Can a member of the society be appointed to be a non-voting, ex-officio member of a committee?

I am sorry and did not make it clear that the committee is not part of the society.

An ex-officio member, by definition, is someone who automatically serves in another position by virtue of another office he holds. Such a position would exist only if provided for in the society's rules. For instance, the bylaws might provide that the Treasurer is an ex-officio member of the Finance Committee. As a consequence, no one is ever appointed to be an ex-officio member.

With that out of the way, your society cannot appoint any members to a committee of another society, unless that society's rules so provide. Now, if the other society wants someone from your society to serve on the committee in question, your society is free to recommend someone, but the other society will have the final say on whether to appoint that person.

You also mention "non-voting members," and that exists only if provided for in the other society's rules. So far as RONR is concerned, there's members and non-members, nothing in between.

Archived