The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Nominating Committee

Sunshine62

We are having an elections of board members, by the membership, after that election, the board members vote for the executive board. The outgoing President has delegated a chairperson for the nominating committee, there are only (total) 4 members of the old board. My question is can the chairperson have a new board member(s) on their committee? We will be voting for a new president, secretary and treasurer.

As far as I can tell from all that, you populate this committee the way you usually populate your committees; it's generally best for the assembly (in this case, that's the board, if I gather correctly) to elect the population of a committee.  And Robert's Rules frowns sternly on the President's getting anywhere near the nominating committee (citation on request).

We are having an elections of board members, by the membership, after that election, the board members vote for the executive board.

I assume this will take place at a (separate) board meeting and not at the general membership meeting. And, technically, the board isn't voting for the executive board (which RONR would call the "executive committee"), the board members are electing the officers who will, ex officio, constitute the executive committee (or "executive board" but why confuse things with two "boards"?).

The outgoing President has delegated a chairperson for the nominating committee, there are only (total) 4 members of the old board. My question is can the chairperson have a new board member(s) on their committee? We will be voting for a new president, secretary and treasurer.

As noted, RONR prefers that the president have nothing to do with the nominating committee.

In any event, it's not clear but it seems you might be referring to a nominating committee for the election of officers (by the board). Do you really need one?

We are having an elections of board members, by the membership, after that election, the board members vote for the executive board. The outgoing President has delegated a chairperson for the nominating committee, there are only (total) 4 members of the old board. My question is can the chairperson have a new board member(s) on their committee? We will be voting for a new president, secretary and treasurer.

No rule in RONR prohibits a new board member from being on the nominating committee.

No rule in RONR prohibits a new board member from being on the nominating committee.

Hmm.  Sunshine, are you asking whether someone who is not yet on the board -- someone whom you expect will be elected, but the election has not yet happened -- can be on the committee?

Hmm.  Sunshine, are you asking whether someone who is not yet on the board -- someone whom you expect will be elected, but the election has not yet happened -- can be on the committee?

And please clarify whether this is a nominating committee of the general membership for the election of board members or a nominating committee of the board for the election of officers. In either case, one needn't be a member (of the appointing body) in order to be named to the committee (though the process is a bit different for non-members).

We are having an elections of board members, by the membership, after that election, the board members vote for the executive board. 

This makes no sense.

The outgoing President has delegated a chairperson for the nominating committee, 

What nominating committee, and where did he get this authority?

there are only (total) 4 members of the old board. 

So what?

My question is can the chairperson have a new board member(s) on their committee? 

Sure, providing whoever appoints members to this committee appoints one or more of them.

Archived