The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Tied vote with abstentions

Guest E. Taylor

In a recent meeting of the committee for which I am secretary, we had situation that I do not know how to resolve. We had quorum, as required - 16 of 18 members present. After discussion, a member made a motion which was seconded. When vote was called, the motion received three Aye and three Nay votes. The other 10 members abstained. I am a RONR novice and haven't been able to find information on how to resolve this motion. Advice?

In a recent meeting of the committee for which I am secretary, we had situation that I do not know how to resolve. We had quorum, as required - 16 of 18 members present. After discussion, a member made a motion which was seconded. When vote was called, the motion received three Aye and three Nay votes. The other 10 members abstained. I am a RONR novice and haven't been able to find information on how to resolve this motion. Advice?

The motion was defeated.  There's nothing left to resolve, procedurally.

I take the question to be about the minutes.  In general, you would simply record that the motion was defeated.  (My usual phrase is Mr. X moved to ____ .  After debate, the motion was not adopted.)  

However, if you had a counted vote, you'll need the minutes to reflect the presence of quorum.  In that case, you record how many vote were aye, how many were nay, and the names of enough of the abstainers to satisfy quorum.  If you had a roll call vote, you can just record each person with their vote (or lack thereof, as the case may be).  

I take the question to be about the minutes.  In general, you would simply record that the motion was defeated.  (My usual phrase is Mr. X moved to ____ .  After debate, the motion was not adopted.)  

However, if you had a counted vote, you'll need the minutes to reflect the presence of quorum.  In that case, you record how many vote were aye, how many were nay, and the names of enough of the abstainers to satisfy quorum.  If you had a roll call vote, you can just record each person with their vote (or lack thereof, as the case may be).  

In a committee, I don't think they need to worry about the bolded part, since committees usually don't keep copious minutes, or at least they're not required to and aren't bound by all of the rules a regular assembly is bound by when it comes to minutes.   The committee is just to keep a memorandum in the nature of minutes for their use.

A roll call vote might require the names of enough abstainers, but why would normal counted rising or show of hands votes require the recording of names, which would arguably be unknown?

Thank you all! Now I'll know how to record this motion and future ones, should they occur. I appreciate your prompt and clear responses.

In the future, make sure that the chair of the committee announces the result of the vote as soon as the vote is taken. It is highly improper to leave it to the secretary to decide, after the meeting is over, whether the motion was adopted or not.

Archived