The Official RONR Q & A Forums

vacancy or not

Leo

If the bylaws, as they sometimes do, state the board shall consist of from 5 to 9 members, and six members are elected at the annual meeting, are there three vacancies on the board?

If later in the year the members want to add the seventh member do they use the prescribed method for filling a vacancy or do they call for a special election?

There is no specific guidance from RONR on this question. But to me, that sort of language indicates that the members may decide, from time to time, how many directors there shall be, provided there are at least 5 and no more than 9. The way the members decide is by appointing Directors #6 through #9. If they don't choose anyone for those positions, then they aren't vacant — they don't currently exist.

There is no specific guidance from RONR on this question. But to me, that sort of language indicates that the members may decide, from time to time, how many directors there shall be, provided there are at least 5 and no more than 9. The way the members decide is by appointing Directors #6 through #9. If they don't choose anyone for those positions, then they aren't vacant — they don't currently exist.

Still a bad idea:  suppose some issue requied agreement of a majority of the "fixed" membership of a board (p. 403, FN).  There's another opportunity for interpretation fights.

Far better to just settle things from the git-go and use a plain old cardinal number.

If the bylaws require from 5 to 9 members, I believe a motion to fix the number of members at 6 would be in order, prior to the election.  That solves the problem of  how many to vote for, as well as defining the "fixed number"  of members should that make a difference at some point.  If they wanted to fix it at a different number in the future, they could. using Amend Something Previously Adopted.

That's an appealing theoretical solution, but in the real world, what most often happens is that a board member says "I just met Mary Smith, she's loaded with money, has lots of influential friends, and wants to join the board." Then it becomes a question of admitting Ms. Smith to the board rather than holding an election.

Archived