The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Absent Parliamentarian

Guest Meg

Our Student Bar Association Parliamentarian is absent due to family emergency.

Beware.

Q. Do your own rules define that this position is an officer position or a fixed-term position?

The person who will act as the parliamentarian in the absence of the "officer," or the one who is officially appointed, will not have any of the perqs of office.

(I am thinking of those cases where the bylaws grant the right to sit on certain boards/committees by virture of holding a given office.)

The volunteer/pinch-hitter may not necessarily hold those kinds of extra rights and privileges.

Thus my caution.

Do we temporarily appoint someone from our Council or do we temporarily appoint a third party? Are we able to operate without one?

Any of the above.

Beware.

Q. Do your own rules define that this position is an officer position or a fixed-term position?

The person who will act as the parliamentarian in the absence of the "officer," or the one who is officially appointed, will not have any of the perqs of office.

(I am thinking of those cases where the bylaws grant the right to sit on certain boards/committees by virture of holding a given office.)

The volunteer/pinch-hitter may not necessarily hold those kinds of extra rights and privileges.

Thus my caution.

The parliamentarian usually doesn't have any perks, but if he does, I concur that any temporary appointee wouldn't be able to enjoy them.

It seems to me it would also be the case that the temporary appointee wouldn't have the drawbacks of the office, such as not voting or debating.  Would you agree?

The "experienced member" referred to by Mr. Mervosh in Post #3 would be free to fully exercise the rights of membership, but if a member is formally appointed as parliamentarian, even for a single meeting, he should not speak in debate, make motions, or vote (unless the vote is by ballot) for the duration of the appointment.

Archived