The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Floor Control

ErnieCunn

I am in the process of preparing to bringing charges against an officer of our

non-profit organization for expulsion. This individual has entrenched himself in

power for several years and surrounded himself with a number of lieutenants who do his bidding. He was President and is now Vice President. The President is his hand picked replacement. The Vice President is de facto President. When I gain the floor and begin my presentation to the members there is a very strong possibility that I will be cut off by the chair. How do I maintain control of the floor and complete my presentation?

Agreeing that the Chair may or may not be correct in cutting off your presentation depending on the circumstances I would point out that (whether he believes it or not) the Chair is not the final authority on whether the assembly gets to hear this presentation.  If the Chair does cut you off be prepared to Appeal that ruling (make sure you have a majority of the assembly on your side).

I am in the process of preparing to bringing charges against an officer of our

non-profit organization for expulsion. This individual has entrenched himself in

power for several years and surrounded himself with a number of lieutenants who do his bidding. He was President and is now Vice President. The President is his hand picked replacement. The Vice President is de facto President. When I gain the floor and begin my presentation to the members there is a very strong possibility that I will be cut off by the chair. How do I maintain control of the floor and complete my presentation?

"An individual member may not prefer charges, even if that member has proof of an officer's or member's wrongdoing. If a member introduces a resolution preferring charges unsupported by an investigating committee's recommendation, the chair must rule the resolution out of order, informing the member that it would instead be in order to move the appointment of such a committee (by a resolution, as in the example above)."  (RONR, 11th ed., pp. 657-658)

Your rules may vary.

Archived