The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Election of Officers

Andy Travis

At our AGM new Board members were elected because there was a vacancy and some Officer's terms were up. At the next Board meeting we have to elect Officers to fill specific positions. My first question is, do the Officers whose terms were not up keep their positions, such as Treasurer, or is every position up for election.

My second question is, if an Officer was re-elected to the Board and previously held a position, such as President, but that person is unable to attend the Board meeting when the elections are held, if somebody else is interested in filling that position, does the person that's not able to attend the meeting, and therefore not say that they still want that position, do they lose that position because they were not at the meeting to nominate themselves or vote.

Our bylaws do allow for voting via email but so far nobody has made any motions for elections via email and the Board meeting is very soon. So am I correct in saying, if you're not at the meeting, you're out of luck to holding onto a position you may have held or want.

At our AGM new Board members were elected because there was a vacancy and some Officer's terms were up. At the next Board meeting we have to elect Officers to fill specific positions. My first question is, do the Officers whose terms were not up keep their positions, such as Treasurer, or is every position up for election.

The officers whose terms have not expired keep their positions.

My second question is, if an Officer was re-elected to the Board and previously held a position, such as President, but that person is unable to attend the Board meeting when the elections are held, if somebody else is interested in filling that position, does the person that's not able to attend the meeting, and therefore not say that they still want that position, do they lose that position because they were not at the meeting to nominate themselves or vote.

Our bylaws do allow for voting via email but so far nobody has made any motions for elections via email and the Board meeting is very soon. So am I correct in saying, if you're not at the meeting, you're out of luck to holding onto a position you may have held or want.

No, this is not correct. A candidate does not need to be present to be elected. Any member may nominate and vote for any eligible person, whether or not that person is present. Candidates who are not present may be at a disadvantage, but it hardly correct to say that they automatically lose the position.

This isn't related to absentee voting. So far as RONR is concerned, a member does need to be present in order to make nominations or to vote, but a member does NOT need to be present in order for other members to nominate him or vote for him.

The answer to that question will be found in your bylaws.  They will, or at least should, specify when the various terms of office end.  Why do you think that a term that has not expired would end?

No.  Unless your bylaws specify otherwise, a member does not have to be present in order to be elected.  He should, however, let it be known that he is willing to serve if elected, but that isn't required unless your bylaws require it.

No, as I said above, a member does not need to be present in order to be elected unless your bylaws specifically require it.

My first question is, do the Officers whose terms were not up keep their positions, such as Treasurer, or is every position up for election.

Only offices which terms are about to expire should have an election and only those offices which have a vacancy should have it filled.

My second question is, if an Officer was re-elected to the Board and previously held a position, such as President, but that person  is unable to attend the Board meeting when the elections are held, if somebody else is interested in filling that position, does the person that's not able to attend the meeting, and therefore not say that they still want that position, do they lose that position because they were not at the meeting to nominate themselves or vote.

Not necessarily.  Hopefully if the officer knows he won't be at the meeting he would have asked an ally to nominate him (or the ally would do so even if not asked).  Or even if he wasn't nominated he could be elected by write-in vote.

Archived