The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Swearing in of new board members

Guest tony

I assume you have no written rule in your bylaws or constitution on the meaning or application called "swearing in", and are asking a generic question.

Good news.

Anyone can swear-in anyone, as far as Robert's Rules of Order goes.

The act of swearing-in is purely ceremonial, and carries no parliamentary weight or parliamentary meaning.

I agree that swearing in is not required by RONR.

However, I will say that in contexts where oaths of office do apply, it is usually the secretary who administers the oath, in my experience. But I don't think having someone else do it would invalidate anything, as long as the correct person is actually doing the swearing (or affirming).

33 minutes ago, Jeepien said:

However, I will say that in contexts where oaths of office do apply, it is usually the secretary who administers the oath, in my experience. But I don't think having someone else do it would invalidate anything, as long as the correct person is actually doing the swearing (or affirming).

What the heck is going on with this forum?  What have the technical gurus done to us?  I've been trying to quote Gary (Jeepien) ONCE, but every time I try to delete it and start over it adds one more copy to the quotes.  I can't figure out how to get rid of them, other than to perhaps log out and come back.  This needs to be fixed!

Now, having said that, I agree that a swearing in ceremony is not necessary unless required by the bylaws.  in my experience, there frequently is no swearing in or installation ceremony.  But, in those societies that do have an installation ceremony and/or swearing in, the installation and oath, if there is an oath, is usually conducted by a judge, elected official, or, if the organization is part of a larger parent organization, someone from the parent organization often conducts the ceremony and administers the oath (if one is administered).  Sometimes the outgoing president does it.   I don't know that I've ever seen the club secretary do it. 

Edited to say that I don't see the option to delete a post like we used to have!

Edited again to say, yes, there is a delete option, but you have to click on "options" to see it.  Sheesh.

Archived