The Official RONR Q & A Forums

parenthetical expressions

Leo

The current edition ("Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised", 11th edition, 2011) does not say.

So, I think I am safe in saying, "Parentheses have no status whatsoever in the parliamentary realm."

Yet, to the contrary . . .

Where a NUMBER is represented TWICE, once in spelling, and once in digits in parentheses, then you have a problem.

4 hours ago, Daniel H. Honemann said:

What would you say is the "status" of parenthetical expressions used in responses posted in this forum?

Usually they are of very high status, although sometimes the most pedestrian of expressions try to sneak in as though they are parenthetical (the lousy poseurs).

• 2 months later...

"Status" If parenthetical expressions are intended to explain the meaning of the sentence, are they enforceable as the rule or the law itself..

1 The sentence is the rule and is enforceable.

2 The parenthetical expression helps to clarify the sentence.

3 Is the parenthetical expression itself enforceable?

When bills are read for legislative bodies the parenthetical expressions are not read.

2 hours ago, Leo said:

3. Is the parenthetical expression itself enforceable?

Q. Why would such a part of one's bylaws be seen as being "un-enforceable"?

There is nothing in Robert's Rules which implies: "Parenthesis don't count. Go ahead and put nonsense into parentheses, because parenthetic comments are not real bylaws."

8 hours ago, Kim Goldsworthy said:

Q. Why would such a part of one's bylaws be seen as being "un-enforceable"?

There is nothing in Robert's Rules which implies: "Parenthesis don't count. Go ahead and put nonsense into parentheses, because parenthetic comments are not real bylaws."

It's on page 962.  It's in parentheses, though.

Ah! Inside joke. :)

For readers do not not get the inside joke of Godelfan:

(a.) RONR 11th edition (2011) holds 716 pages.

(b.) So a reference to pages in the 800's or 900's implies non-existent page.

(c.) And for future reference, the current edition is the eleventh edition. So any reference to the 12th or 13th or 20th edition is likewise an inside joke.

Reminds me the Bud Abbott & Lou Costello routine, "Who's On First?" but with a parliamentary theme -- "Who's Adjourned?

LOU: So, to end the meeting, the man with the hammer raps the hammer to end the meeting, and the meeting is ... the meeting is ...

BUD: Adjourned.

LOU: Adjourned! You didn't have to tell me! I knew it all along!

BUD: Of course you did.

LOU: Great! Now we're making progress! This ain't so hard! Now, what if, after the meeting is -- convened -- the man with the wooden hammer sees that there is no -- quorum -- then he suggests that the meeting continue to another day.  When he does that, the continuation meeting is ... the continuation meeting ...

[LOU looks at BUD, but BUD doesn't give the answer]

LOU: Okay, now I need help. What kind of meeting is the continuation meeting?

BUD: Adjourned.

LOU: No, I'm talking about the next meeting of the members, not the current meeting.

BUD: And I'm telling you! Adjourned!

LOU: Wait! Stay out of the current meeting! Let's go to the next meeting. What is the continuation meeting?

BUD: Adjourned!

LOU: No, it can't be adjourned! It hasn't happened yet!

BUD: The 'meeting' is 'adjourned.'

LOU: Cut that out!

BUD: Cut what out?
     [etc.]

Archived