The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Voting no on an agenda

lilac897

No - and, to make sure I'm understanding the question correctly, wouldn't "said agenda items" be all agenda items?

If I vote no on a motion to rent gerbil balls for the annual picnic, I can still attend the picnic and play with the gerbil balls (although I would not, because they are stupid).  Similarly, once the assembly adopts its agenda, everyone gets to participate in the meeting.

Has anyone asked this fellow why he opposes the agenda, and doesn't, instead, move to amend it to make it more to his liking?  Is he just protesting the adoption of an agenda since your organization meets quarterly or more often and uses RONR as its parliamentary authority?

22 minutes ago, lilac897 said:

. But other times he says it's because he gets attention for doing it. 

He's spot on with that answer.  Nevertheless, as Mr. Huynh notes, he can enter into debate if he wants and he can vote as he pleases on any item.. If he's elected to this council he can answer to a higher power at election time.

57 minutes ago, George Mervosh said:

He's spot on with that answer.  Nevertheless, as Mr. Huynh notes, he can enter into debate if he wants and he can vote as he pleases on any item.. If he's elected to this council he can answer to a higher power at election time.

If you meet as often as quarterly, you might also consider not adopting an agenda.

32 minutes ago, Godelfan said:

If you meet as often as quarterly, you might also consider not adopting an agenda.

True.  It also may be the case that the standard order of business is not applicable in this council.  But still, I think the problem is the guy just votes "no" on every motion (a.k.a. - agenda item).

Archived