The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Board meeting

Nikki

At our recent board meeting we met in executive or closed session to discuss a matter with a homeowner.

I am the secretary and the other board members told me not to put in the minutes that the board met in 

executive session with a homeowner.

It is not addressed in our bylaws.

What should I do?  I thought it was supposed to be mentioned in the minutes that the board met in executive session

but of course not to include the minutes of the executive session in the regular board meeting minutes.

The minutes should say that the board met in executive session.  Minutes should be kept for the executive session as well, although these should be approved in executive session. 

In practice, if the board wants to keep it out, they'll amend the minutes to remove the fact that they met in executive session before approving them.  You should try your best.  I would put it in even if I think they'll amend it out.

I need to reword this question.  Our board met with a homeowner to discuss an issue.  They are not calling it an executive session so they are saying they do not want it mentioned in the minutes that they met with a homeowner.  I was assuming that it was called a meeting in executive session.

What do you call it when the board meets with a homeowner before the actual board meeting?  Was this done improperly?

If the board is not in a meeting, it would be called a conversation.

A board chooses to meet in executive session when secrecy is needed:  litigation strategy, personnel matters, sensitive issues, etc.

Discussions shouldn't be in your minutes, but discussions shouldn't be happening during meetings if they aren't debate on a motion, so I'm not sure whether or not it makes sense to discuss legal issues all the time during board meetings and not record them in the minutes.  

On 10/31/2016 at 11:50 AM, Godelfan said:

... In practice, if the board wants to keep it out, they'll amend the minutes to remove the fact that they met in executive session before approving them....)

Is this sort of falsifying of reality (we can call it "history," but that can make the matter seem merely academic) really common?

(ANd at a meeting "with a homeowner"?!)

On 11/1/2016 at 11:28 AM, Godelfan said:

If the board is not in a meeting, it would be called a conversation.

A board chooses to meet in executive session when secrecy is needed:  litigation strategy, personnel matters, sensitive issues, etc....

ANd minutes are not kept of conversations, Q.E. D.*  Well put.

On 11/1/2016 at 11:28 AM, Godelfan said:

... Discussions shouldn't be in your minutes, but discussions shouldn't be happening during meetings if they aren't debate on a motion

I would have expected you to say that this board might be using small-board rules (RONR - IB, p.3, lines 12 - 15 -- you have to count them (I used my fingers, I have almost enough); cf. RONR, 11th Ed., pl. 488, third bullet point), allowing informal conversation.  I don't think those warrant being recorded (with the exception ofmotions made, which, by definition, of course should), do you?

______

* No, that doesn't mean I'm citing the Quidditch English Dictionary!

N. B.  I've always wanted to use "cf." : I finally got to do it here.  Maybe college would be a good idea next.  Right after my RP test.

9 hours ago, Gary c Tesser said:

ANd minutes are not kept of conversations, Q.E. D.*  Well put.

I would have expected you to say that this board might be using small-board rules (RONR - IB, p.3, lines 12 - 15 -- you have to count them (I used my fingers, I have almost enough); cf. RONR, 11th Ed., pl. 488, third bullet point), allowing informal conversation.  I don't think those warrant being recorded (with the exception ofmotions made, which, by definition, of course should), do you?

______

* No, that doesn't mean I'm citing the Quidditch English Dictionary!

N. B.  I've always wanted to use "cf." : I finally got to do it here.  Maybe college would be a good idea next.  Right after my RP test.

No, I don't think those warrant being recorded either.  

Archived