The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Amending Motions

Pension Maven

Thanks everyone for your patience. I have another question today concerning amending motions. 

A board member motioned to approve a recommendation by a consultant. Another board member seconded the motion. During discussion, it was decided that  there were actually two separate items that needed approval. The "motioner" then submitted the two separate motions which were both voted on and approved; however, the original motion was not really resolved. Again, how do I address this in the minutes? The person didn't really say, "I move to amend..."

Should I just transcribe everything as it transpired:

Joseph Jones moved to recommend to the commissioners to approve the recommended changes in  the experience study and to change the assumptions to 7.5% based on the adoption of the county's budget. Suzy Que seconded the motion. After discussion, Joseph Jones moved that the committee recommend to the commissioners to recommend the changes to the experience study. Darrell Donut seconded the motion; the motion passed. Joseph Jones moved that the committee recommend to change the assumptions to 7.5% based on the adoption of the county's budget. Robert Robin seconded the motion. The motion passed.

Sorry for so many questions in one day. It was quite an eventful day yesterday.

52 minutes ago, Gary Novosielski said:

And it wouldn't hurt to spruce up the vocabulary a bit.  It'll make you sound more knowledgeable, which is never a bad thing.

• Instead of "someone motioned" say "someone moved".
  • Instead of "the motioner" say "the mover"

Motion is a noun and should not be verbed.

Is that your unmeaningless opinion, Gary? :)

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.