The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Condominium Board Member

Guest Agnes York

On 8/31/2017 at 0:06 PM, Richard Brown said:

Nothing in RONR prohibits it unless the vote took place in executive (secret) session.

And if the Board starts claiming that they are holding all their votes in Executive Session then you need new directors, and/or a clause in the By-laws limiting when the Board can doe things in secret.

18 hours ago, Rev Ed said:

And if the Board starts claiming that they are holding all their votes in Executive Session then you need new directors, and/or a clause in the By-laws limiting when the Board can doe things in secret.

Maybe, but don't you think there are organizations where this would be a good idea, and generally accepted?

On 9/4/2017 at 11:12 AM, Joshua Katz said:

Maybe, but don't you think there are organizations where this would be a good idea, and generally accepted?

That would be nice, but when it comes to condominiums, I know a thing or two about some of the 'tricks' that can be played (and yes, I live in a condominium.)

On 9/4/2017 at 11:12 AM, Joshua Katz said:

I'm sure there are, but I think that in condominium and homeowner associations, board members are more in the role of representatives of a constituency, and as a class these organizations are more likely to benefit from transparency.   

So, in general, I'd recommend that their bylaws contain reasonable limitations on the use of executive session, provide for the routine use of roll-call votes, and making board meeting minutes available to general members.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.