The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Sec/Treas.

Guest James Duggan

I don't understand. If the president is also elected to the position of secretary-treasurer, he will be holding two positions. 

If you are talking about splitting the combined position of secretary-treasurer into two separate positions, that would require a bylaws amendment if the current bylaws state that it is one position.

1 hour ago, Guest James Duggan said:

Can an elected President of an Association take another elected position such as Secretary/Treasurer and split it into two separate positions without approval from the Association members and a constitution/bylaw change?

The president only has such powers that the bylaws provide. So I think the answer would likely be "No".

Okay people, let me jump in here.  Do the By-laws actually call for for a combined position of Secretary-Treasurer, or has the society simply been combining the positions by electing the same person to both positions?  The President may simply be wanting to follow the By-laws and have separate people in both positions.  Some organizations can get lazy and as one person has 'always' been elected to both positions the it is easier to have one election to elect the Secretary-Treasurer instead of two elections, one for each position.  In other words, when the elections are held, nominations are asked for the position of 'Secretary-Treasurer' and not for nominations to the positions of Secretary and Treasurer.

Guest Who's Coming to Dinner
12 hours ago, Guest James Duggan said:

Can an elected President of an Association take another elected position such as Secretary/Treasurer and split it into two separate positions without approval from the Association members and a constitution/bylaw change?

Offices which are defined in the bylaws can only be changed by amending the bylaws.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.