The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Nomination Committee

Fergusgw

My question is we have an elected member on the nomination committee, is this authorized in Rules of Order?  My problem is when we have nominations and vote by ballot, the nomination committee is the one that counts the ballots, my thinking is this would be a conflict of interest as anyone that is being voted on should not be on this committee.  Your thoughts. 

4 minutes ago, Fergusgw said:

My question is we have an elected member on the nomination committee, is this authorized in Rules of Order?  My problem is when we have nominations and vote by ballot, the nomination committee is the one that counts the ballots, my thinking is this would be a conflict of interest as anyone that is being voted on should not be on this committee.  Your thoughts. 

As far as RONR is concerned, a member of the nominating committee may be nominated for office.  At the same time, as far as RONR is concerned, the nominating committee does not count the ballots, so you would seem to have some customized rules on this procedure.

4 minutes ago, Fergusgw said:

"Members of the nominating committee are not barred from becoming nominees for office themselves. To make such a requirement would mean, first, that service on the nominating committee carried a penalty by depriving its members of one of their privileges; and second, that appointment or election to the nominating committee could be used to prevent a member from becoming a nominee. "  RONR (11th ed.), p. 433

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.