The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Allowing votes in committee for those not specified in bylaws?

Benjamin Geiger

Our bylaws contain this paragraph:

Steering Committee: The Steering Committee shall be comprised of all officers, the State Executive Committeeman and State Committeewoman, Chairpersons of Standing Committees; President/Chairpersons of local Caucuses that have been chartered through the Florida Democratic Party and have at least 10 active members; and Regional Directors. Other HCDEC members may be invited to attend for the purpose of making reports on special projects.

The problem is that "Caucuses" should have been "Caucuses and Clubs", but it was left out of the bylaws during a recent amendment. We're working on getting it put back in.

In the meantime, though, I've received this question (as chair of the Bylaws Committee): "If the Steering Committee would agree to allow the club presidents to vote until we change the Bylaws, do you see any obstacles to that?"

I know that allowing those who are not members of the assembly to vote is prohibited, but how does it apply to the committee specifically? Everyone involved (as I understand it) is a member of the assembly.

TL;DR: Can the committee (or the assembly) give the ability to vote in the committee to those who aren't explicitly included as committee members?

9 minutes ago, Benjamin Geiger said:

Eh, that's kinda what I figured. Guess we'll just have to wait until the bylaws are amended.

I know of no rule that nonmembers cannot suggest how the voting members vote on an issue or how they would vote.

Also the rules can be suspended to permit non-members to speak in debate, and to make motions. 

There are two lines there and you may wish to read between them. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.