The Official RONR Q & A Forums

ACTIVE MEMBERS MEANS ALL ON THE ROSTER?

Guest YORAM

Our organization has  85 Active members.

When voting to accept or reject applicants for membership, our Bylaws say:   

."...Prior    to    the    next    meeting    active    members    shall    decide    by    secret    ballot  

and    by    a    majority    vote    whether    to    accept    the    applicant    as    a    member."

In a recent vote, the results were 41 YES, 34 NO.

Did our Bylaws set the bar at  43?

Should the applicant be accepted with the 41 YES votes?

Thank you.

Yoram

I agree with the foregoing answers. It seems to me, unless the bylaws provide otherwise someplace else, that the approval of new members requires an ordinary majority vote of those members present and voting. That seems to be what occurred. This vote did achieve a majority vote.

In my opinion, based on what we have been shown, I do not believe the bylaws require 43 votes to approve as new member. That would be a majority of the entire membership. I do not see this bylaw provision as requiring the vote of a majority of the entire membership. I read it as requiring an ordinary majority vote, which would be more yes votes than no votes.

There's nothing that suggests to me that anything other than an ordinary majority vote is required which, when not further qualified, means a majority of those present and voting.  So, any time the Yes votes outnumber the No votes, a majority vote has been satisfied, as  is the case in the example provided.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.