The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Gavel Use at Toastmasters Club

Guest ESTM

Can you tell me if it is common practice, anywhere on the plant, to use a gavel in a small meeting (Toastmasters) for each main speaker?  Our club transfers the gavel to each main leader, who comes to the lectern and to me, it looks ridiculous.  I understood it to be only to open & adjourn the meeting.  Thank you.  

25 minutes ago, Guest ESTM said:

Can you tell me if it is common practice, anywhere on the plant, to use a gavel in a small meeting (Toastmasters) for each main speaker?

A lot of organizations use the gavel far more often than intended, so it would not surprise me if this was a common practice, but it is certainly not consistent with RONR.

25 minutes ago, Guest ESTM said:

I understood it to be only to open & adjourn the meeting. 

It’s used a bit more often than that, but not much. It is also used when leaving for (or returning from) a recess or when calling a member to order. RONR also notes that the presentation of the gavel is often part of a installation ceremony for new officers. It is certainly not presented to each speaker, although it is conceivable that the organization has its own rules in this matter.

I've seen this at Toastmaster clubs. It's not consistent with RONR, but RONR is about running a good meeting (which, as General Robert points out, is not a lesson in parliamentary procedure, or anything else), while Toastmasters is about learning. I think the practice exists because of the need to rotate officers in order for members to follow the leadership path to DTM.

It sounds like your group is using the gavel as a very elaborately made talking stick. I am familiar with the concept because we occasionally used it in Canadian Scouting organizations, where I was told it came from indigenous traditions.

The talking stick, also called a speaker's staff,[1] is an instrument of aboriginal democracy used by many tribes, especially those of indigenous peoples of the Northwest Coast in North America. The talking stick may be passed around a group, as multiple people speak in turn, or used only by leaders as a symbol of their authority and right to speak in public.

from Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talking_stick

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.