The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Minutes moved with past Secretary

Tina Marie

Our annual convention was held in April and in May our past Secretary moved to another state. She DID NOT leave the new Secretary much of anything for notes from our annual meeting. It has taken 4 women and three sets of notes to put together what we do have. (we needed SOMETHING to take to the bank to change names on accounts) That being said, we are getting ready for our mid year meeting (we have a fiscal year) and need to present minutes......my question to you all, we are missing detail information roll call, correction of minutes from previous meeting, names of people that moved and seconded motions. yes, details. I am open to asking membership what they have for notes (I am the Vice President) is this inappropriate? 

We are rebuilding ourselves after some tough leadership, and I want to do right but embarrassed that a past officer left us like this.

thanks!

You are indeed in a tough spot and it looks from here that you are doing as much as possible to gather up information.  Perhaps, when the (of necessity) sketchy minutes come up for consideration at your mid-year meeting, you could invite members to offer amendments to fill in blank spots to what you do have.  Announce ahead of time, in the call to the meeting for instance, that you will welcome amendments, and indeed folks could send them in ahead of time.  Allow extra time in your meeting schedule for reconstructing the minutes.

A couple of notes that might make your life easier:

1)  The names of seconders are not required in minutes so don't make a big push for them;

2)  The only thing(s) that are required in the minutes (aside from some administrative matters) is/are the text of motions that were made and disposed of (adopted, defeated, sent to a committee, &c.):  no debate, no "support statements", no "statements for the record", no extensive committee reports, no officer's reports, just the bare bones of "what was done, not what was said".

Take a look at page 468ff for more details.

Guest Who's Coming to Dinner
1 hour ago, Tina Marie said:

I am open to asking membership what they have for notes (I am the Vice President) is this inappropriate?

In fact, this is exactly what "correction of the minutes" is for. Do your best in advance of the meeting with the understanding that it is ultimately up to the assembled members to perfect the record.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.