The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Guest Sue Morrow

This is a non profit Board of Directors. Our bylaws provide for term limits of 4 consecutive 2 year terms and then a member must be off of the board for one year. Officers may only serve one 2 year term in their office. We do not stipulate what happens if a board member only has 1 year left on their 4 consecutive terms and is nominated for a 2 year term as an officer. Is there any guidance in Robert's Rules of Order for this situation?

8 hours ago, Guest Sue Morrow said:

This is a non profit Board of Directors. Our bylaws provide for term limits of 4 consecutive 2 year terms and then a member must be off of the board for one year. Officers may only serve one 2 year term in their office. We do not stipulate what happens if a board member only has 1 year left on their 4 consecutive terms and is nominated for a 2 year term as an officer. Is there any guidance in Robert's Rules of Order for this situation?

It's not a rule, but most organizations solve that problem by making the officer terms one year, in cases where officers are elected from among the directors and their terms are longer than one year.  

Term limits only make matters worse.

Edited by Gary Novosielski

13 hours ago, Guest Sue Morrow said:

Unless your bylaws provide otherwise, the board is free to elect anyone it wishes as an officer, whether or not that person is a member of the board. In this event, if this person is elected, the person will no longer be a member or the board after one year, but will remain an officer for the duration of that term.

If your bylaws do specifically provide, however, that only members of the board are eligible to be officers, then if this person is elected, he will no longer be a member of the board or an officer after one year, and it will be necessary to fill the vacancy in the officer position.

Everyone,

Thank you for your input. The By-Laws do say that all officers must be members of the Board of Directors. Apparently I am one of the only members of our Board who actually have read our By-Laws. Not quite sure how I missed this. I've been Vice-President for the last 2 years with the assumption that I would then move into the President role. I've been looking at who and how officers are chosen for our Board and realized that I have an issue. LOL. Not quite sure how I feel as I've been training and learning the role that I thought I would be stepping into. 

By-Laws.docx

1 hour ago, Newbie said:

Our Bylaws contain this passage:

"President Elect. The President Elect shall perform the functions of the President in the absence or inability of the President, and shall automatically constitute The Board's nominee for President the following year, unless removed from office by The Board, by resignation, or by otherwise becoming unqualified to hold office."

Already, we have folks saying that the President Elect will not automatically become President at the next annual election. Technically, probably correct as the above only states the President Elect becomes the nominee, not the President.

Newbie, I'm confused.  I don't see any of the provisions you quoted in the bylaw provisions posted by Guest Sue Morrow (akd Guest Term Limits?).   Are you in the same organization and referring to the same bylaws?  Or are you referring to some other organization?

If you are referring to another organization, please consider deleting your post (or editing it to say you have deleted it as being unresponsive, since we no longer have the ability to delete our posts).  A post from out of the blue about another organization's bylaws serves only to confuse readers.  We need to stick to the specifics of Guest Sue Morrow's organization and her question related to HER bylaws.

A moderator might delete your post later, but for now, you can delete all text from it and replace it with a statement that you have deleted your post because it was off topic.

Edited by Richard Brown
Added Newbie's full post

12 minutes ago, Richard Brown said:

Newbie, I'm confused.  I don't see any of the provisions you quoted in the bylaw provisions posted by Guest Sue Morrow (akd Guest Term Limits?).   Are you in the same organization and referring to the same bylaws?  Or are you referring to some other organization?

If you are referring to another organization, please consider deleting your post (or editing it to say you have deleted it as being unresponsive, since we no longer have the ability to delete our posts).  A post from out of the blue about another organization's bylaws serves only to confuse readers.  We need to stick to the specifics of Guest Sue Morrow's organization and her question related to HER bylaws.

A moderator might delete your post later, but for now, you can delete all text from it and replace it with a statement that you have deleted your post because it was off topic.

Concurring with Mr. Brown, I will add that if you intended your post to be a question, you can post it as a new topic.

3 hours ago, Guest Term limits said:

Thank you for your input. The By-Laws do say that all officers must be members of the Board of Directors. Apparently I am one of the only members of our Board who actually have read our By-Laws. Not quite sure how I missed this. I've been Vice-President for the last 2 years with the assumption that I would then move into the President role. I've been looking at who and how officers are chosen for our Board and realized that I have an issue. LOL. Not quite sure how I feel as I've been training and learning the role that I thought I would be stepping into. 

To be clear, you could still be elected to the position, but you would only be able to serve in it for a year. The only way around that would be to amend the bylaws.

Edited by Josh Martin

Sorry for any confusion I may have caused. I was primarily responding to:

"I've been Vice-President for the last 2 years with the assumption that I would then move into the President role."

Our Bylaws (different organization) provide for automatic nomination to President, but apparently not to automatically become President.

That's why this forum is so strict on each topic / question being made a separate thread: There are so many variations and nuances in the facts of each organization and how they've decided to organize themself. Your bylaws, presumably, work for your group but Guest(s) Sue and Term are dealing with different details. 

4 hours ago, Newbie said:

Sorry for any confusion I may have caused. I was primarily responding to:

"I've been Vice-President for the last 2 years with the assumption that I would then move into the President role."

Our Bylaws (different organization) provide for automatic nomination to President, but apparently not to automatically become President.

I understood the OP to simply mean that it is customary in her organization (as it is in many organizations) for the Vice President to be elected President, not that there was any automatic succession. If there is an automatic succession provision, that may introduce some ambiguity.

Edited by Josh Martin

So sorry for any confusion that I have created. Sue Morrow and the Guest Term Limits are the same person. I did not understand the nuances of posting and merely wished to thank all that have taken time to consider my concerns. I have relayed to our current President that I will not be able to move into the President position without a change to our By-Laws. Because this directly impacts me, I also feel that it is a conflict of interests for me to spearhead any discussion about the issue. I did recommend that we gather a group of individuals who are familiar with our Board and organization (not necessarily current Board members) to brainstorm if we should consider a change to the current By-Laws. I do not want to pursue anything that might be counterproductive to the BOD and I may also not know the justification for the current wording in our By-Laws. There may have been a historical decision that framed the current governance.

Choosing to only serve 1 year in the office would be counterproductive to our association as the other officers would be serving 2 year terms.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.