The Official RONR Q & A Forums

adjournment

Guest lavern

15 minutes ago, AFS1970 said:

I always thought that the house did function under RONR. They have their own separate rules?

The US House of Representatives has its own rules and defaults to Jefferson's manual as its parliamentary Authority on matters not covered by its own rules. It does not follow Robert's Rules of Order.

2 minutes ago, Richard Brown said:

The US House of Representatives has its own rules and defaults to Jefferson's manual as its parliamentary Authority on matters not covered by its own rules. It does not follow Robert's Rules of Order.

Thanks. I had heard somewhere that the house used RONR (or at least a previous version) and the senate used Jefferson's manual. 

2 minutes ago, Hieu H. Huynh said:

Robert's Rules of Order is based on the rules of the House and adapted for use in ordinary societies.

And therefore the rules in RONR are far more similar to the rules of the House than those of the Senate.  With knowledge of RONR, it is possible to follow fairly easily the flow of business in the House, although there are differences.  The Senate processes are, by comparison, mysterious.

10 hours ago, AFS1970 said:

Thanks. I had heard somewhere that the house used RONR (or at least a previous version) and the senate used Jefferson's manual. 

Jefferson’s Manual is the parliamentary authority for the US House of Representatives. The US Senate has not formally adopted any parliamentary authority, but considers Jefferson’s Manual to be persuasive. Both chambers also have extensive special rules of order and centuries of precedent.

In any event, however, the original question was about the proper interpretation of a clause from the United States Constitution, and RONR will certainly be of no assistance in that regard.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.