The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Proposed Resolutions- deadline to submit to the general members

Cuibono

In our governing documents, there is a deadline that the Board must submit all approved resolution proposals to our general membership within 30 days of our convention.  The Board has asked me if this could be "waived" to allow for more time.  I advised that it could not but could this be considered a "rule of order" and then we can get around this 30 day provision?  The way it is set up the committee only had about 4 days to review these resolutions.  

Edited by Cuibono
clarification

This appears to be a notice provision designed to protect absentees and to give members notice of certain items of business to come before the convention.  I do not think it can be waived or suspended except by a vote of ALL members.  Not just all members in attendance, but ALL members of the society.

Edited to add:  You said, " there is a deadline that the Board must submit all approved resolution proposals to our general membership within 30 days of our convention."  Did you intend to say that resolution proposals must be submitted to the membership at least 30 days PRIOR TO the convention?     I am assuming that is what you meant to say.

Edited by Richard Brown
Added last paragraph

11 hours ago, Cuibono said:

oh I just thought of something - could the resolutions in which the board is seeking more time to consider be brought up as a motion to amend something previously adopted/ motion to amend the bylaws at the convention itself?

No, because that would be less than 30 days of notice.

12 hours ago, Cuibono said:

oh I just thought of something - could the resolutions in which the board is seeking more time to consider be brought up as a motion to amend something previously adopted/ motion to amend the bylaws at the convention itself?

Although motions to amend the bylaws are similar in nature to a motion to Amend Something Previously Adopted, they usually have their own prior notice and threshold requirements

Also, previous notice requirements are not rules of order, since they apply to actions outside the context of a meeting, and cannot be suspended.

Edited by Gary Novosielski

27 minutes ago, Cuibono said:

Thank you.  I think I'm a little uunclear as to what then can be brought up in a motion at plenary.  What is the real difference between motions and resolutions besides complication and notice?

None. A resolution is just a motion written in a particular format.

32 minutes ago, Cuibono said:

I think I'm a little uunclear as to what then can be brought up in a motion at plenary.  

I have no idea what you mean by bringing up motion "at plenary". 

32 minutes ago, Cuibono said:

What is the real difference between motions and resolutions besides complication and notice?

There really is no difference other than the fact that a resolution is often considered to be a more formal type of motion, sometimes with a bunch of whereas clauses before the enacting (or resolved) clause.

Edited by Richard Brown
Edited last sentence

I believe that I've seen "plenary" used to refer to meetings of the denomination-wide conventions of some Presbyterian denominations.  Comparable to the Republican or Democratic national conventions in that there are multiple layers of conventions sending delegates to higher conventions.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.