The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Email voting

firefighter44

As a board we have a statement that says we follow Roberts Rules of order.

We have nothing in are bylaws that says we can vote by email.

We have a board member that some want removed from the board. (the only thing are bylaws say is it has to be a 3/4 vote from current board members)

in a nut shell in email voting even allowed? 

I can go in to more detail if needed. but there is a push from a few to get this done fast. 

I don't like it because it doesn't give the person being removed a chance to explain the actions. 

Any use of electronic methods of meeting or voting must be authorized in an organization's bylaws. If you need more details about the ins and outs of that, let us know. But the basic answer given what you have said is no.

One caveat, Some state laws require allowing electronic voting in non-profit corporations. And we don't comment on legal matters here, except to note that state law takes precedence over Robert's Rules.

2 hours ago, firefighter44 said:

We have a board member that some want removed from the board. (the only thing are bylaws say is it has to be a 3/4 vote from current board members)

I don't like it because it doesn't give the person being removed a chance to explain the actions. 

And RONR 11th Ed, chapter XX goes into a lot of detail regarding the proper procedure for removal.  But it is entirely possible that your bylaws bypass that procedure depending on the exact wording.  Please post the exact wording of your bylaws as they relate to the removal process.

3 hours ago, firefighter44 said:

As a board we have a statement that says we follow Roberts Rules of order.

We have nothing in are bylaws that says we can vote by email.

in a nut shell in email voting even allowed? 

I can go in to more detail if needed. but there is a push from a few to get this done fast. 

E-mail voting is prohibited by RONR.  So, if your bylaws don't authorize it, it can't happen.

• 1 month later...
On 2/21/2019 at 7:17 PM, Greg Goodwiller said:

Any use of electronic methods of meeting or voting must be authorized in an organization's bylaws. If you need more details about the ins and outs of that, let us know. But the basic answer given what you have said is no.

One caveat, Some state laws require allowing electronic voting in non-profit corporations. And we don't comment on legal matters here, except to note that state law takes precedence over Robert's Rules.

I wish I could get the rest of my Board to understand your 2nd sentence, 2nd paragraph.  NC statutes state that electronic voting can be approved in 3 ways - Art. of Incorp, OR Bylaws OR by action of the Board of Directors.  Since our Bylaws are pre-email, they don't mention electronic anything.  Some Board members & general membership believe that since email voting is not mentioned, we can't do it.  On electronic communication, the NC laws don't even say, "Unless the Bylaws say otherwise..."  (55A-7-08 & 55A-1-70)  Once I was appointed Secretary 3 years ago, the Board was on board with me sending out agendas, requests for votes, budgets & financial statements.  I didn't realize an official motion had to be made to do so because a) I'd never heard of Roberts Rules and b) I'd never dug into the NC statutes.  

3 minutes ago, Betsy Barber said:

.... believe that since email voting is not mentioned, we can't do it.

Bank robbing probably is not mentioned in your bylaws, either, and I suspect there is general agreement that you can't do that either.

Ask a lawyer about the NC statutes "permission" to use e-mail and how to implement it.

• 3 weeks later...
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.